Finds from Hill 449 - Battle of Gemmano, 1944.

Tommygunn

Apr 21, 2008
Misano Adriatico, Italy
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236X2
I went out on my first detecting trip on Sunday with my new Fisher 1236x2 and decided to explore the small hill top village of Gemmano (43°54'11.26"N, 12°34'24.97"E - finds location), where the Allies fought the Germans in late 1944, to see what I could find.

I found plenty of shell fragments, some strapping (with small fragment hole) and the top of a what I can only presume is a ration can considering its location and graphic design. The can top has Italian, English and French script.

Fragments.jpg

Strappinghole.jpg

Cantop.jpg

I'll be going back to the area this weekend to see what else I can find.

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Seams that you are on to something. You found where they fought, now find the camps, look for flat terraces where tents could be pitched. I found a 155 shell with no nose fuse and many many many rifle bullets and a few grenades while living in Italy(Well maybe) so be carefull.... Happy Hunting. Also just so you know do not post any good find unless it meets the letter of the law because Big Brother is watching sites like this. Here is the law?

ITALY

The 1939 Act of the custody of artistic and historic objects affords protection to all objects and coins of historical or archaeological value including coins. All objects are State property and must be reported to the Superintendency of Arts. Rewards may be offered up to 1/4 of the value.

Metal detecting is forbidden in the following areas:

Val D'AOSTA

TOSCANA

LAZIO

CALABRIA

SICILIA

Coins found minted after 1500 can be kept by the finder and 10% of their value has to be paid to the landowner.

OP
OP
T

Tommygunn

Apr 21, 2008
Misano Adriatico, Italy
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236X2
Thanks for the info, Le Beep.
I'm up on the North East coast so I'm quite out of the way. However, Monte Cassino is in Southern Lazio.

SpionKopKid

Jun 10, 2008
You'll never believe this but my Grandfather died trying to take point 449. he was in the Kings Own Yorkshire light Infantry and was killed on the 13th Sept.

I visited the site in 2006 and took my detector with me but due to limited time found little, the ground was also baked hard!!

A good book on the battle is Gemmano by Amedeo Montemaggi. Also this website - http://members.tripod.com/aries46/gemmano.htm

I have worked out (since my visit) that my grandfather more than likely died on a smaller hill than 449 between the village and 449. I believe a radio mast now sits on this hill!! ( Amedeo talks about the hill in his book)

If you find anything significant I will be interested in buying it from you.

If you don't want to sell it will be interesting if you post any finds regardless.

OP
OP
T

Tommygunn

Apr 21, 2008
Misano Adriatico, Italy
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236X2
Hi Spion,
This fascinating to hear. Do you know much about your Grandfather's time in Italy and where else he fought? Does he have a grave in Italy?

In regards to my exploring exploits I have found a sweet spot off the beaten track of Hill 449 further along the ridge which is pretty wild and unexplored.

The other weekend I found three empty 9mm and 1 live which were made by W.R.A. (Winchester Repeating Arms) one badly corroded German, steel 7.92mm cartridge case lower and of course plenty of shell and mortar fragments.

I'm actually thinking of starting a blog or updated forum post on my exploring fun in Italy. I've already rescued a pair of 75mm Pak40 wheels from close by and have got plenty of finds from trips to Monte Cassino, so it would be nice to consolodate it all.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=137149
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279846

SpionKopKid

Jun 10, 2008
Do you live in Italy then?
My Grandfather was posted to the Gothic line just a few months before his death. Prior to this he was in the artillery (AA) in the middle east, but as the Luftwaffe's influence decreased they cut back on AA units and he decided(was told) to join the infantry.
He then made his way from palestine to Italy.
I still intend finding out more about the night he died but I need to get hold of the regimental dairies, there may be nothing in those as he was only a private. I have his military records but it just has a KIA stamp and the date. It took a bit of research to find out he was actually involved at Gemmano.

He was buried in the Coriano Ridge cemetary, I managed to get there in 2006 (just down the road from Gemmano) and left a few poppies.

SpionKopKid

Jun 10, 2008
Thanks for the kind offer Tommygunn but I do have photos from my last visit.
I intend going back in a few years, but before I do I will contact Amedeo Montemaggi as he lives in Gemmano and some of the fiercest fighting took place around his family home which the Germans used as a defensive position. (it was taken/retaken several times). I'll see if he'll let me detect in his back garden, he does seem a nice chap as he posted his book to me in the UK, only charging the cost price of the book and threw in P&P. He seemed really pleased to help me!.

In the meanwhile I'll keep popping back to the forum to see if you have found anything else!!

OP
OP
T

Tommygunn

Apr 21, 2008
Misano Adriatico, Italy
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236X2
Give me a shout if you do get over here again as I'll be happy to take you on a tour of the various areas. That's if you don't mind dirt and brambles.

Bosco91

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2011
Tommygunn said:
Hi Spion,
This fascinating to hear. Do you know much about your Grandfather's time in Italy and where else he fought? Does he have a grave in Italy?

In regards to my exploring exploits I have found a sweet spot off the beaten track of Hill 449 further along the ridge which is pretty wild and unexplored.

The other weekend I found three empty 9mm and 1 live which were made by W.R.A. (Winchester Repeating Arms) one badly corroded German, steel 7.92mm cartridge case lower and of course plenty of shell and mortar fragments.

I'm actually thinking of starting a blog or updated forum post on my exploring fun in Italy. I've already rescued a pair of 75mm Pak40 wheels from close by and have got plenty of finds from trips to Monte Cassino, so it would be nice to consolodate it all.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=137149
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279846

Where did you find this place unexplored?

EmmaH

Nov 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
My partner's father served with 85th Mountain Regiment, Royal Artillery, using the 75mm pack guns: ref your mention of wheels! He has in his possession a list of all the places the Regiment went during his time in Italy and on that list is Pt. 449, which we were intrigued to find out about. We do know of a couple of the Regiment members buried in the Corriano war cemetary. Would love to talk to anyone else whose father/grandfather etc served with this regiment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread