Finds from recent Delaware detecting (1909 IHP, and WW1 era US Navy Button)

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I've been spending some time down in Delaware, so I made it a point to get out and detect 5 or 6 times while there.
I detected at a few different locations: some time on the beach, in a farm field and at two old homesites.
Although none of the finds are stunning, there were enough to keep me interested and happy. And I'm just getting familiar with these sites, so hopefully there are additional great finds to discover!

My favorite find came from a farm field: a US Navy button from late 1800's-early 1900's (pre-1941 since the eagle faces to its left). And the button is in great shape. Back: "NS Meyer inc NEW YORK". That same day at a nearby field I found 3 wheat (1923, 1936, 1941) which is why they're pictured together at first.

Since I found the 3 wheat pennies together in a field where there used to be an 1800's school, I returned to that field another day and did manage to find an Indian Head Cent: 1909, last year they were made. It's in good shape too (better than NJ soil, although the patina is weirdly mottled).
The school field also gave up a weird harmonica-like reed plate. I say it's "weird" because it's larger and thicker than others I've found, and made of a different - and more corroded/rougher - material. A picture of the one I found (top) and a "normal" one (bottom) is included. Any thoughts on this reed plate?

A third location (an 1800's homesite) gave up a very interesting find: the brass plate from an 1886 era Knights of the Golden Eagle ribbon (example included below). I'm currently researching and trying to tie a past owner to the Knights organization - maybe I can figure out exactly who owned the ribbon this came from.

From the beach I found a handful of 40mm WW2 artillery shrapnel - a common find on the Delaware beaches (Letter A in the green picture). I could have found buckets-full. The problem is the larger pieces sound like copper coins, so I dig them until I get sick of digging them and then I move on.

The Letter B item in the green picture is something I don't identify; it's like a cap on a broken piece of glass. Some sort of old electrical insulator?

The Letter C item in the green picture looks like a "buggy break" (i.e. buggy shaft tip), and it has rotted wood inside, but it also has two tabs on it, which I haven't seen before, and it doesn't have a wear mark where the tip would have sat on the ground. Is it a "buggy break"?

I included a few other items found, and the total of clad was about $2.66 or so. No silver, sadly - I was hopeful the school site would produce a dime, but no luck this time.
Next time!
Thanks for looking.

- Brian

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

RenderedImage.JPG

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

Upvote 15

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful recoveries
Nice Detail and Well Said

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the eagle button and other great finds! I'm curious about the big reed too.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I've been spending some time down in Delaware, so I made it a point to get out and detect 5 or 6 times while there.
I detected at a few different locations: some time on the beach, in a farm field and at two old homesites.
Although none of the finds are stunning, there were enough to keep me interested and happy. And I'm just getting familiar with these sites, so hopefully there are additional great finds to discover!

My favorite find came from a farm field: a US Navy button from late 1800's-early 1900's (pre-1941 since the eagle faces to its left). And the button is in great shape. Back: "NS Meyer inc NEW YORK". That same day at a nearby field I found 3 wheat (1923, 1936, 1941) which is why they're pictured together at first.

Since I found the 3 wheat pennies together in a field where there used to be an 1800's school, I returned to that field another day and did manage to find an Indian Head Cent: 1909, last year they were made. It's in good shape too (better than NJ soil, although the patina is weirdly mottled).
The school field also gave up a weird harmonica-like reed plate. I say it's "weird" because it's larger and thicker than others I've found, and made of a different - and more corroded/rougher - material. A picture of the one I found (top) and a "normal" one (bottom) is included. Any thoughts on this reed plate?

A third location (an 1800's homesite) gave up a very interesting find: the brass plate from an 1886 era Knights of the Golden Eagle ribbon (example included below). I'm currently researching and trying to tie a past owner to the Knights organization - maybe I can figure out exactly who owned the ribbon this came from.

From the beach I found a handful of 40mm WW2 artillery shrapnel - a common find on the Delaware beaches (Letter A in the green picture). I could have found buckets-full. The problem is the larger pieces sound like copper coins, so I dig them until I get sick of digging them and then I move on.

The Letter B item in the green picture is something I don't identify; it's like a cap on a broken piece of glass. Some sort of old electrical insulator?

The Letter C item in the green picture looks like a "buggy break" (i.e. buggy shaft tip), and it has rotted wood inside, but it also has two tabs on it, which I haven't seen before, and it doesn't have a wear mark where the tip would have sat on the ground. Is it a "buggy break"?

I included a few other items found, and the total of clad was about $2.66 or so. No silver, sadly - I was hopeful the school site would produce a dime, but no luck this time.
Next time!
Thanks for looking.

- Brian

View attachment 2011508
View attachment 2011509
View attachment 2011513
View attachment 2011510
View attachment 2011511
View attachment 2011512
View attachment 2011514

View attachment 2011515
View attachment 2011516
Great presentation, would love to hear more on the background on the Knights of the Golden Eagle piece once you find out.... thanks for sharing this!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Next time!
Thanks for looking.

- Brian

View attachment 2011508
View attachment 2011509
View attachment 2011513
View attachment 2011510
View attachment 2011511
View attachment 2011512
View attachment 2011514

View attachment 2011515
View attachment 2011516
Congratulations Brian looks like you had a great time!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting finds Brian, that late 1800s US Navy button has a beautiful look to it. :thumbsup:
That 'Golden Eagle' medal hanger is an interesting find too.
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread