Firing Pin Mark

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I found a .32 cal WCF cartridge case today. Just the normal .32 cal or .32-20 Win cartridge case. The headstamp is marked "U S" and is not that unusual to me. The thing that has me scratching my head since I don't know that much about late 19th century cartridges is the firing pin mark. It is not the normal dimple of a standard firing pin but is "US" with "_" underneath. Is this common and I just don't know about it? Need a photo? I'll post one when the sun is up.

Thanks!!

Daryl

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rim fire possibly
ive found a couple they are pretty old
guessing 70-100 YO

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
q56_small.gif

q2a_small.gif

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Here is a photo of the mark. It is a .32 WCF used in both rifles and pistols in the late 19th century. Just never seen a firing pin "stamp" any letters.

Daryl

Attachments

• usheadstamp.jpg
    usheadstamp.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 539
  • usheadstamp2.jpg
    usheadstamp2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 476

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? got me going on that one ?

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Hi Daryl,

I don't think the "US" is a result of a pin strike, but, rather was part of the manufacturing of the primer, a makers mark or arsenal mark.

Just my opinion.

BTW, I've enjoyed your posts on your search for Sherman's camp...excellent reading.

regards,

Jim

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Hi Jim,

I think you are correct. I found some images of old cartridge cartridge cases and they did have marks on the primers before they were fired. Since the mark on the primer matches the headstamp on the cartridge, I think they indicate they were made by the same company and US is part of the name of the company.

Glad you are enjoying my search for Sherman's camp and his 40,000 men. I guess if you have to be in the wrong place and finding other stuff, it doesn't get much better than Revolutionary War items. Could be worse. :D

Daryl

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Makes sense to me. Stands to reason they might put the "US" mark on their primers to show they were made by the company and were of the same quality.

Thanks!!

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread