Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Firmin & Langdale Livery(?) Button: IDENTIFIED 12/25!

UPDATE 12/25: FAMILY CREST IDENTIFIED! (SEE REPLIES FOR UPDATE!)

One of my favorite sites had a new section cleared out recently, so I was anxious to get to parts that were previously overgrown with my T2 SE. Unfortunately, even though it was cleared out, there is stubble everywhere so it is really difficult to swing the coil. I tried Boost mode and some of the other settings, but the coil sounded off whenever I bumped the stalks.

After experimenting with some settings I decided to give All Metal a try. I didn't realize that the display still shows ID numbers while in this mode, so it is kind of a "mixed mode" of All Metal audio and Discriminate display. This setting really worked well and had a good feel. I was able to easily tell false signals from real ones and the detector was super sensitive even with the coil several inches off the ground.

I dug a bunch of buttons but the best one by far was the Firmin & Langdale button. The word "THROUGH" appears on the front of the button over the crown/below the tree. I am assuming it is a livery button of some type but I may be mistaken, so help is appreciated with the ID. I could not find the specific backmark of "FIRMIN & LANGDALE / STRAND" on any other button. Strand is the address of F&L, but all other backmarks from the manufacturer have "53 STRAND" .

025a.JPG 026a.JPG

In total I found 10 buttons in a couple of hours, not too shabby for a "hunted out" site! The other button pictured has a BM reading "SUPERFINE/ STRONG/LONDON"
029.JPG
015.JPG

PS: I have been detecting this site for more than 7 years, and each find is unique. It is a relatively small site, maybe 20 acres of land. The buttons include early US and British military buttons. Many other types of British buttons have been found there too, mostly civilian but also a customs officer's button from the same era. The majority of the finds range from around 1810-1830. It seems as if there may have been an undocumented tavern at the site or it was just heavily traveled or was some type of commerce center.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a Livery button but that's as much as I can tell you about it.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is listed in Tice's DATING BUTTONS book: FIRMIN & LANGDALE, LONDON, U.K., 1815-1823
Backmark:
* FIRMIN & LANGDALE * / STRAND

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U jersey guys hav it goin on.. CONGRATS. HH

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
After some thorough searches I finally was able to ID the family crest as belonging to a servant of the Hamilton family of Scotland. Below are some similar or nearly identical crests, along with Hamilton Palace where the servant may have served. Now the task has turned to finding the connection to the site I have been searching!

Attachments

• hamiltonthrough.gif
    hamiltonthrough.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,139
  • hamilton livery.jpg
    hamilton livery.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Hamiltonpalacemorris_edited.jpg
    Hamiltonpalacemorris_edited.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some thorough searches I finally was able to ID the family crest as belonging to a member of the Hamilton family of Scotland. Below are some similar or nearly identical crests. Now the task has turned to finding the connection to the site I have been searching!
Now that is cool! Hats off to you for not accepting the easy answer. GREAT research!! I am working on my own research problem with the spanish crest on the piece I just dug. Congrats on the ID and Happy Holidays to you!

-Buck

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is cool! Hats off to you for not accepting the easy answer. GREAT research!! I am working on my own research problem with the spanish crest on the piece I just dug. Congrats on the ID and Happy Holidays to you!

-Buck
True, but if I did that for every Livery Button, I would have no time to detect & get no-where, most are generic & have no family connection that you could ever research.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
True, but if I did that for every Livery Button, I would have no time to detect & get no-where, most are generic & have no family connection that you could ever research.

Livery buttons on this side of the pond are a rare find. This is my first and only. I also have a desire because the property I have been detecting has such a varied array of finds and I'm not sure why. Could have been a store, or more likely a tavern that isn't documented.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Livery buttons on this side of the pond are a rare find. This is my first and only. I also have a desire because the property I have been detecting has such a varied array of finds and I'm not sure why. Could have been a store, or more likely a tavern that isn't documented.

Don't get me wrong (you done a great job & research is half the fun), I'm just explaining why I would be waisting my time & depending on the design so would most.

I find the same generic Livery Buttons 100 miles apart in different directions, & lots of families 'picked' the same design, sometimes because it was similar to their family coats of arms (or the same if expensively commissioned) & mostly because they were middle class & wanted to look more important.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread