Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I love the Simplex+ so I really want to see if swinging the Legend is comparatively better. For that comparison, I spent the first 20 hours hunting a few small parks and an old yard permission where I could no longer find anything with the Simplex, Ace 400 and a friends machine (which I won't bother naming). Aside from a few recent drops, I've dug about $30 in deep clad, 1 deep silver rosie, a deep silver ring and crucifix, and a plethora of cool deep relics from the yard with the Legend. Impressive.

The tones and VDI are vastly different from the Simplex and are taking quite awhile to get used to, but, unless I'm wanting to, I'm digging NO iron whatsoever! This thing knows iron. The most troubling thing is the VDI. It has a very different number for the exact same item at different depths, as well as very different numbers for the same items at the same depths. The most consistent VDI seems to be for nickels, which seems strange to me, but they are a 26 every time and at any depth. Pulltabs are very consistent from 28-32, which is a far narrower range than with the Simplex. Pennies are all over the place, dimes usually around 46 and quarters usually 51-55.

I haven't put it over gold yet, at least not that I'm aware of, so it remains to be seen how that's going to come up. I'll be heading back down to my silver coin honey-hole along the Colorado soon and I'm hoping I get the same kind of results I got with park clad there.

The most surprising hunt was an hour at an old trash dump site next to the railroad tracks near my house. This place is thick with cans, R/R spikes, nails and every other kind of iron trash. The Legend does a great job of keeping relatively quiet in that environment. I can only last about 10 minutes there with the Simplex or Ace 400 before my brain is overloaded. I think that's going to open up new doors for me in the Sierras once the snow is gone.

The coolest thing to me is the Bluetooth. I can use whatever headphones or earbuds I want. Earbuds allows wearing a brim hat, which is going to be a game changer when it starts getting really hot. Keep in mind to use Low Latency headphones or earbuds or the sound delay will blow your mind!

I'll revisit this post if I notice anything else noteworthy going forward.

Happy hunting all!

Upvote 4

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Rat,
I haven't noticed vdi differences at different depths, just a bit of lessening vdi numbers as I lift up off the target or at the edge of range while coil pull-back targeting (not using the on board targeting pin point feature). Are you running 1v05?

j777extra

Greenie
Oct 17, 2010
Cincinnati, Morrow, OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/800, XP ORX, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent about 8 hours out with my machine a few days ago, and all the vdi's on clad you posted are dead on. I didn't dig any iron either unless I just wanted to see what it was. The can slaw was driving me crazy but, I was using 60 tones in the park 2 setting, I think we will be able to hear aluminum once we spend more time on this. So far I am happy with this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread