JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys, Well I went for a actual hunt today with the Nox. First one.

Many may remember a thread someone posted here or on another forum asking if you had a spot picked out you were going to take your Equinox to once you get it. I commented on how I wanted to go to a Old Hospital area I have pounded with my Etrac stock coil and sef 15x12, Ctx stock, and Deus with HF 9" coil. I have found a couple barbers and many old wheats as well as a few buffalos.. I honestly didn't have high hopes to find any thing else really because I have really hunted this little 70'x25' grass section to where I have not been getting any signals at all. It is a Typical hot soil area for my area and depth is what I was hoping I would get with the nox.

Well I got a few more targets out of there today. A 1906 V nickel(believe it or not my first one) A 1915 wheat, a suspender clip and a silver rosie.

The funny thing was I was not getting these coins deeper than what I had found the coins previously, But more that they were around iron and the Rosie was vertical with a nail in the hole. I know I walked over the V nickel multiple times as it was about 3' away from where I found one of the barbers previously. I always really pound the area slowly directly around where I find other good coins..

So far I am pleasantly surprised. The Equinox is a much sparkier machine compared to the Etrac and CTX but it is indeed much more accurate with ID than the Deus. It for me looks like it may be bridging the Gap between the deus and CTX..

Another big thing for me is accurate ID in conjunction with the tones. I hunt a lot of places that have old and new targets at different depths so being able to dependably/accurately cherry pick is something very important to me. My absolute biggest complaint with all the single frequency machines is in My Super crappy soil they all go high on the tone and ID and not that deep of depths. So I find Myself getting Clean high tones with the deus that turn out to be a freaking squaretab all the time(Gigmasters video was doing the same thing above with his gold nugget ringing in with a high tone and VDI in the 90's). You never have this issue with the CTX or Etrac but I know they let good targets get masked a little easier than I would like in the trashy spots.

Another thing I really love so far is how you can adjust the different tones volume individually. This will be great for Cherry picking if you desire, I turned the volume way down on everything but my high tone area.

Another big plus is being able to adjust where the tone break is. So I bumped up my High tone to 22 and above. Every zinc I found was coming in at 21 so this is pretty cool.

Still early for sure on the verdict for the Equinox but I am getting a feeling I will like this machine. More to come :)

EDIT::::::: Oh yea, Another thing were the settings, I was in Park 1 but a brought down the Iron Bias to 0 and I was running the Speed at 7. When I did this starting getting the hits. Sensitivity was at 20

Attachments

• equinox small.jpg
    equinox small.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 96
  • V nic small.jpg
    V nic small.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the report! :occasion14:

GL & HH

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going with a buddy colonial digging tomorrow.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post! :headbang:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep good post. I am about ready to sell everything I have. Got a great spot full of relics and can not get through the wet rusty iron and trash ringing my ears off.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea, Another thing were the settings, I was in Park 1 but a brought down the Iron Bias to 0 and I was running the Speed at 7. When I did this starting getting the hits. Sensitivity was at 20

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tn mountains, go a Tesoro Vaquero in that mix?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indeed, an excellent report, Jackalope! NICE JOB!

Steve

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your results very very similar to my results.
Thanks for sharing.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jackalope, was it the 6 or 800 you were using?, not that it would really matter, just curious is all.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JZL1,

I like the statement you made about it being a bridge between the Deus and the CTX. To me it seems the Equinox would compliment either machine. I have hesitated getting a CTX primarily because I didn't want to pay that much for a slow, heavy machine just to get a waterproof package, deep silver seeking, and rock solid TIDs. Equinox gets me the CTX the way I want it, knowing that I may be sacrificing some of the high-end, fringe capabilities of the CTX (e.g. superior high conductor depth and bells and whistles I don't need like GPS).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions