Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings Tnetters,
I haven't posted in quite a while because I haven't been hunting much. Life was in the way but much has changed and I find myself in Nicaragua on a beach that apparently has never seen a metal detector.

I'm down here with my Garrett AT Pro and my Excalibur ll. I also brought my Garrett Carrot but it fritzed out the first time it hit the water. I'm hoping it's the Duracell battery issue and not a bigger problem.

The gold trinket is a Taurus Zodiac pendant. Unfortunately, it's gold plated. I believe the core is copper which explains the mixed signal. Still, it sounded nice. As I bent down on the rocky shore to begin looking for it I saw it wedged standing on it's edge. I didn't get an in situ photo as a young Nicaraguan man has taken to following me around as I search for "tesoro."
IMG_5606[1].JPG

It was wedged pretty good so I did the unthinkable. I pulled out my leatherman, gripped it and pulled. Came out after a few seconds. I saw the golden shimmer and quickly pocketed it so as not to create a stir. I later realized it was plated. But is has gold so I'm calling it my first beach gold. I know there's more out there.
So far the oldest (discernible) coin I've found is a 1939 Ten Centavos.

Most of the coins I've found have been from the late 1930s up to 1980. Surprisingly they've held up pretty well. QFOY0414[1].JPG IMG_5616[1].JPG
And of course there's trash. IMG_5553[1].JPG And lots, and lots, and lots of iron. I mean it's EVERYWHERE!

Getting detectors through customs was expensive. I had to pay $326 American in Nicaraguan Cordobas to get my detectors back from the customs agent. Seems it's a common practice for them to seize electronic gadgets and hold them hostage. The agents then go online for a valuation and the unlucky vacationer must pay on the spot to retrieve said "retained" goods. Payment must be in the national currency. No other currency is accepted at the customs office. No Cordobas, too bad. Oh, you can go next door to the money changer and convert some of your $$ to ours. The exchange rate was less than favorable.

Everything pictured found using the AT Pro on exposed rock shore.

Upvote 11

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At least it was a nitro moment thinking it was gold.
Now that's taking advantage of the moment regarding the customs agent.

Crooks basically holding the equipment hostage.

Then again I went to the White's manufacture in Sweet Home Oregon in 1981
Got work on the detector (free)
Got back to the border-they asked me if the detector was mine.
Questioned where I was.
I told them I had some free repairs done on the machine.
"Well if you had to pay, what would it of cost you?"
$365.00
"That will be $45.00 sir" :BangHead:

OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I sure wish you luck finding something truly valuable to take the sting out of that extortion you faced!
Thanks MX,
If the clouds roll in a bit thicker I'll be out there for the afternoon low tide!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Tnetters,
I haven't posted in quite a while because I haven't been hunting much. Life was in the way but much has changed and I find myself in Nicaragua on a beach that apparently has never seen a metal detector.

I'm down here with my Garrett AT Pro and my Excalibur ll. I also brought my Garrett Carrot but it fritzed out the first time it hit the water. I'm hoping it's the Duracell battery issue and not a bigger problem.

The gold trinket is a Taurus Zodiac pendant. Unfortunately, it's gold plated. I believe the core is copper which explains the mixed signal. Still, it sounded nice. As I bent down on the rocky shore to begin looking for it I saw it wedged standing on it's edge. I didn't get an in situ photo as a young Nicaraguan man has taken to following me around as I search for "tesoro."
View attachment 2058035

It was wedged pretty good so I did the unthinkable. I pulled out my leatherman, gripped it and pulled. Came out after a few seconds. I saw the golden shimmer and quickly pocketed it so as not to create a stir. I later realized it was plated. But is has gold so I'm calling it my first beach gold. I know there's more out there.
So far the oldest (discernible) coin I've found is a 1939 Ten Centavos.

Most of the coins I've found have been from the late 1930s up to 1980. Surprisingly they've held up pretty well. View attachment 2058039 View attachment 2058036
And of course there's trash. View attachment 2058038 And lots, and lots, and lots of iron. I mean it's EVERYWHERE!

Getting detectors through customs was expensive. I had to pay $326 American in Nicaraguan Cordobas to get my detectors back from the customs agent. Seems it's a common practice for them to seize electronic gadgets and hold them hostage. The agents then go online for a valuation and the unlucky vacationer must pay on the spot to retrieve said "retained" goods. Payment must be in the national currency. No other currency is accepted at the customs office. No Cordobas, too bad. Oh, you can go next door to the money changer and convert some of your $$ to ours. The exchange rate was less than favorable.

Everything pictured found using the AT Pro on exposed rock shore.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread