First buttons, but how old?

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my first buttons. I was wondering what kind and how old. They rang up a 78 on the ATPro. I put a nickel in the middle of them for size reference. Thanks
D433BD9D-F186-4E4B-8AA2-3070F723A1CA.jpeg
0F20BC63-AEF8-428F-8F9F-315C1F2300FD.jpeg

Upvote 13

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here they are cleaned up. They measure at 1 1/8” and are very thin. No visible markings. I was on an old logging tram site with a dried up holding pond near my property. They were in the berm of the pond about 2’ from each other.
I have no idea about button ages or types, besides what I see others dig on videos.
D7B2CC85-B687-462B-8341-3B338CFF5EBB.jpeg
D5FCFF56-B7AB-4D36-A8AC-B4A8E527B432.jpeg

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It blows me away to get something that old from this area, I’m wondering how they got there. I know people have been moving back and forth around here for a long time but the earliest settlement is 1830ish so people were pretty sparse. I’m going back out there tomorrow and see what else comes from that spot.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These ones where hard for me to make my mind up. The look & construction reminds me of 18th C Tombac buttons but the metal type looks wrong. Safe to say they are at least early 1800s.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to remember that any artifact we find that has a particular production date.....pearlwares, coins, buttons,etc...does not mean it was lost during the production period. For instance extreme wear on an old coin indicates a later loss. In archaeological terms, it is called "time lag". So, if you found your button on a site from the 1860s along with other 1860s era finds, there was a lag in time between production end time and time of loss. Hope all of this makes sense....vn

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to remember that any artifact we find that has a particular production date.....pearlwares, coins, buttons,etc...does not mean it was lost during the production period. For instance extreme wear on an old coin indicates a later loss. In archaeological terms, it is called "time lag". So, if you found your button on a site from the 1860s along with other 1860s era finds, there was a lag in time between production end time and time of loss. Hope all of this makes sense....vn
I was thinking the same thing. The site I’m working is old but it’s too commercial to be a really early operation. I’ve found short tram spikes, a 1’ cable, and a broken felling axe leading up to the shallow log pond. I’m thinking the logging site was late 1800s when timber logging was big here. That being said there could have been an older site there, the wet climate and lack of records make finding anything pre-civil war a complete guessing game.
I really appreciate all the input, y’all are being a huge help.

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention, there is a bit of gold gilding showing through the patina on both of the buttons.
Is there a way to clean them a little better or should I leave them like they are?

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back out today and searched it over, but I didn’t find anything nonferrous besides a clock cog. It is about 10” from an old fence and there is a lot of iron in the ground.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention, there is a bit of gold gilding showing through the patina on both of the buttons.
Is there a way to clean them a little better or should I leave them like they are?
Ok that helps, they are early 1800s & all the plating has gone, no way to improve what isn't there.

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to all who posted and for all the great info helping me with the dates and ID. Finding a flat button was on my bucket list, but I never expected to find them practically in my back yard. Thank you for all of the help, y’all are a wealth of information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread