First Civil War bullets

F

fueller

Hi again everyone. These are some of my newest finds. These are all from a newly bulldozed field (soon to be a new medical office) that I received permission to hunt. At one time it was a camp during the civil war, and I was told the area was used as a hospital site for a local battle. Anyone have info on what caliber bullets these are? I'm really interested in the small pointed ones. From a sidearm I guess. What about that rock, does it look familiar? I keep getting metal hits from them all over the area.

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You can measure your bullets-- .50 calibre = .50 inches, or half an inch in diameter. The larger ones might be .54 cal. The smaller ones look like .36 or .30, but I'm not sure from the photo. A calipers would tell you. I don't know a whole lot about specific CW bullet styles and shapes, but these look like very nice finds!

The 'rock' looks like slag, which would be the molten metal/glass scum taken out of a coal-burning boiler. I imagine a CW era hospital would use a boiler as a source of hot water for cleaning medical equipment. It might also have been disposed from a steam engine locomotive. Either way I would expect it to ring out as a 'hot rock' on your detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread