First CW button and its a keeper! Contrats to my son.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday my son (also a T-net member) hit a permission right after work. I don't have alot of details on the find other than the picture he texted me.

I believe they call this a Starburst button.

55270054410__90B350D5-9DE0-4391-95D0-19482CC9D3CD.jpeg

Anyhow, he has never found a CW button before so congratulations to him on his first!

Not sure how these buttons rank on peoples button bucket list but i would put it pretty high on mine.

If anyone has any info on these buttons it would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Norh Carolina button!
That's a great Confederate button! Still on my list. Congratulations to your son. Hope he doesn't rub it in too much.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Norh Carolina button!
That's a great Confederate button! Still on my list. Congratulations to your son. Hope he doesn't rub it in too much.

It's his second CW find. His first being a partial US belt plate found last year. He framed the plate and gave it to the property owner as a gift. LOL he is not one to rub it in too much but i am sure i will be reminded of this find from time to time.:occasion14:

Confederate!!!! Well I see a great button and a proud papa. Congratulations to you both.

Thanks Truth...i am indeed very happy for him.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His first button and it is a Confederate one. How long has he been hunting? It only took me about 45 years to find my first Confederate button. Congrats on a very nice find.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find!!! I've got yankee buttons I've found but not one from the CS...d2

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Awesome find and Congrats are in order for your first.:wav:

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His first button and it is a Confederate one. How long has he been hunting? It only took me about 45 years to find my first Confederate button. Congrats on a very nice find.

Thank you for the kind words. He has been detecting for about 3 years now. He got the bug when i let him use my old Garrett. As a matter of fact, he was the one who got me back into the hobby after a very long absence.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell your son that I said: Well done.

That's a sweet NC button!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom. I will see him this weekend and get some better pictures. He said the shank is missing. I guess most of these buttons are missing the shanks because of the type of materials they were made from. I hope to go back to the permission with him as soon as we get some rain. It is a very large property.

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a great CS button....one of my favorite designs! I hope you find a few more at that site.--JB

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well dad, where there’s one there could be more :)

So, a little about what had happened. This house was built in “1903”... I know this is not the case because I’ve found a mint 1883 Indian there. I’ve hunted this place to death with my AT Pro and decided to stop by and see how the home owners were doing as they’ve been restoring the home for the past couple of years. I just so happened to have my equinox in the car and they said to have at it. There are pretty much zero high tones on the property (no silver coins have yet come out) so I’ve just been digging mid tones basically. I guess they’re mid tones... I’m still getting used to this minelab thing. Dug a broach, an old tube of lipstick, an old flat button, shotgun shells, etc. at the time I didn’t know that the flat button Is a British button from the 1820’s marked “imperial standard”. So I kept digging trash. Then I get this weird signal bouncing around 19 and 21 and I imagine there’s a tone break there cause it was like a mid and a mid high tone? Anyway, I dig it. I’m fooling around in the plug and find it. At first I thought it was coin that had been run over or something cause I ended up cleaning the backside first and there was no detail and it was only a few inches deep. I get the other side cleaned up and I freaked out and didn’t know what to do. All I could think about was how I wished my dad was there to share the moment with me. This is also the reason why I don’t usually hunt alone anymore. It’s way more fun to share the excitement with someone else. So I bust out my phone and text my dad. I think all it said was “Daaaaadddddd!!!” And then followed by the photo. Then I started a live video on a friend of mines metal detecting page on Facebook cause I know they’re a bunch of civil war guys. After that I packed up, showed the homeowners, and split. I’ll tell you what guys, I’ve used this equinox a handful of times and it’s straight up blowing my AT Pro out of the water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll tell you what guys, I’ve used this equinox a handful of times and it’s straight up blowing my AT Pro out of the water.

So far i am pretty impressed with the performance. I just wish it was better balanced!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an awesome find!!! First button and it's a confederate NC button, all I can say is WOW!!! Tell ya son Congratulation's and I'm sure you're a proud Dad also!!! "D"

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!! I've got yankee buttons I've found but not one from the CS...d2

Soon man soon maybe in one of them watering / swimming holes.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I congratulate you the Proud Dad & your Son (first 2 CW Finds , part of a Plate then a NC Sunburst) ; imo He was born to dig.

From what I have gathered you are correct 'most' NC Sunburst Buttons that are dug are missing their shanks ( bad Mfg ).

I'm still hunting hunting my first NC Sunburst or any NC, they have been dug around here 'lord knows I've seen guys bring enough in at my club' ; Story is when the Confederates Winter Camped in Dalton 1863-84 they needed NC troops but the Governor of NC sent Uniforms instead (better than nothing) hence they are found in North Ga , & Atlanta campaign sights.

I did buy one a few years back 'Said to be from N Ga ' but I will soon dig one.

WTG
To yr Son , I truly believe the Equinox is a GREAT Machine but if the button was at only a few inches the ATP should have found it. IMO

Like they & you said "There may be More".
Davers

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread