First day out with the Ace-250 - GOLD!!!

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today in chilly Minnesota we had the first day above freezing in at least a week. Taking advantage of the opportunity, my younger brother and sister and I took my new Ace-250 over to the local park. The ground was completely frozen, so we restricted our search to the gravel of the play ground. There was still an inch-thick coat of frozen snow on top of the gravel and a solid layer of frozen sand four inches below that, but the layer of loose gravel was all we needed.

After some trial and error, I began to recognize the signals of the interference caused by the metal supports for the play ground. (In retrospect, I could have adjusted the sensitivity, but it didn't occur to me then. ???) We hunted and dug for about an hour, finding little more than a few bobby pins, a nail and a hair binder. By now we were all cold and a little disappointed. :sadsmiley: We found a number of nickel and dime signals, but they were deep into the solid sand. They'll have to wait until the spring...

Then suddenly I got a solid signal in the dime-quarter range. My sister started to dig where I had pinpointed. After a few scoops I hear her cry "it's a ring!" This got me excited. :happy3: I took a look, but I couldn't see it well - the light was getting pretty dim. (The sun sets at 5:30 or earlier in winter here, remember...)

In the light of the car, I saw it was a large gold-colored ring. The face reads "Master Sales Guild - Pontiac" with an enamel chevron emblem and a small stone set off to the side. (Odd placement. It almost looks like it was added later.) But here comes the best part: on the inside was the engraving "Pontiac - 10K"!!! :hello2:

So, on my very first outing with the Ace-250, I found gold! (With some help from my younger siblings!) I am so excited to get back out there!

IMG_2823.jpg
IMG_2828.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg
IMG_2826.jpg
IMG_2825.jpg
IMG_2824.jpg

And sorry about the quality of the photos... I didn't have very good lighting and I had to resize them because of the new 2MB rule.

Upvote 17

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Striey
Now that`s a nice family hunt ...you guys did very good in the cold and all, congrats on the honker ring!
Gary

CoinShooter23

Nov 30, 2013
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find.. And your first time using a new machine at that! Wonder if you can track down the owner of the ring because someone worked their entire career selling cars to earn that! Sad loss.. But still an exellent find! HH

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where does one go from "up"? ;)

Great find!

The ring with a stone? Reminds me of a salesman promotional I've seen somewhere before. I think it worked something like this; You get the ring for a certain level of sales. Then, each time you passed a milestone in sales, (another level), they'd add a stone. It was mounted to the side with the intention of adding more stones as time goes on.

In any case, a beautiful way to start a long career, again! ;)

WTG!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet ring !

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find for a first outing. Congrats, and may there be many more

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice find.....Gold fever has struck! Welcome to GFA...........Gold Fever Anonymous...:icon_thumright:

Silversurfer79

Dec 24, 2013
Southern, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find with your new machine! I just received my AT Pro in the mail today and I just may have to brave the frozen Minnesota tundra myself! That gives me hope I can find something in the winter!

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Nice find!
I totally agree about Minnesota! Lately it's been a SOB but should see a heat wave tomorrow; 38 degrees. 5 days ago....-22! Only in Minnesota!

Happy hunting and don't forget to hunt those plowed up areas in parking lots! There are gold in em' "hills"...

Silversurfer79

Dec 24, 2013
Southern, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on hitting the place where the city dumps all of it snow. Good idea? Or should I stick to business parking lots?

OP
OP
Stripeythecrab

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where does one go from "up"? ;)
The ring with a stone? Reminds me of a salesman promotional I've seen somewhere before. I think it worked something like this; You get the ring for a certain level of sales. Then, each time you passed a milestone in sales, (another level), they'd add a stone. It was mounted to the side with the intention of adding more stones as time goes on.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense, thanks!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice chunk of ring! Congrats on your new machine..it is a good solid machine.
The more you learn the machine the better you will get.Yes if you get near playground equip or under bleachers they will false, you're not the first to be fooled by that ;)
Most important. ..Happy Hunting!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so proud of you and your siblings, you guys are the BOMB. I like that you were all out there in the frozen ground tuffing it out digging ice blocks. You guys are hard core hunters, good job. I hope you get a heat wave and can get back out there for those nickle and dime signals (I hope they are silver) We need to outfit all three of you guys with machines so you can find everything when it thaws!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All down hill from here...:icon_thumright:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great ring. Pontiac began using the red arrowhead design in 1957. based on the font used in the lettering, my guess it that your ring most likely dates to the late 1980's or early 1990's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread