First Ever Hunt and First Impressions

Rick Dangerous

Sep 12, 2018
St. Albans, VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went out this weekend with my Garrett AT Pro to a small beach on Lake Champlain and spent about 2 hours detecting and digging. I had a ton of fun, my wife was there to help dig and did some beach combing. What my first impressions of the hobby are:

-It is hard work. It's easy to think about treasure hunting, it's another to actually go out and do it.

-Reading the detector is hard, it's not black and white (at least not to a novice.) I got some reading in the 10-40 range that were clearly iron, but then i'd get some 70-90 readings thinking i'd get a coin, just to dig up more iron trash. Still not sure how to really read the finer metals yet, but I need to do some bench tests, that is for sure.

-You spend a lot of time digging garbage/false signals (i suppose less as you get better/get to know your machine)

-It's fairly physical. It was a workout! I was wearing jeans and mud-boots but I'm thinking knee pads might not be a bad investment, or am I being a sissy?

-It's fun to find things even if they aren't valuable. Sometimes even an old nail can be exciting.

-It's nice to be outside. At the end of the day, it's never a bad thing to spend time outdoors.

-Pulling digging tools out of your pouch can be awkward. Do I keep them in, out, put back in if my next dig is only a few steps away?!

-I'm hooked. We had a blast and i'm definitely going to do a lot more of this hobby in the future!

I found a large bolt, a piece of iron that looks like it was from a boiler of some sort (two rivets visible) and some old hand hammered nails, some newer nails, and a clip of some sort. We also found a ton of beach glass and old broken up china. No coinage sadly.

Attachments

• IMG_20180923_162908.jpg
    IMG_20180923_162908.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 100

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You definitely picked a good hobby. Over time you will be able to tell the difference between deep iron and a small coin. You will probably dig a lot of nails. They can sound really good. Anyways, good luck.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your are hooked and cooked! You are correct reading your machine becomes easier over time and I do recommend knee pads. Best of luck and HH.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your head is in the right place. Each target is an opportunity to learn your machine. The hardest part about the hobby is finding and recognizing good ground and not getting frustrated so you can make the most of it. I consider playgrounds and parks practice for when I get permission to do some good ground. Its still fun and you'll find some change but I hold a candle for those good locations.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of action took place in the Champlain area.It wasn't called the great war path for nothing.From the French and Indian wars to the revolution.Rogers Rangers stomping grounds.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are digging in the sand or at waters edge, take a sturdy long handled sand scoop with you. You scoop the target and either shake it out or dip it in the water to collect your target. A pinpointer can also come in handy. Both will save you a lot of time and you don’t need to bend down so much. You just carry your scoop in one hand and detector in the other. Even if I am doing dirt, I usually keep the pinpointer in my hand because I usually use the pinpointer on every target before digging.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to our activity, and kneepads are an excellent idea.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Rick Dangerous,

Congratualtions on your new addiction! We all are in love with metal detecting hobby.

Some points: Do not worry about digging iron, we all do! You try the iron audio feature but sometimes it gets fooled.
IMO: Knee pads are a necessity if your "dropping" 100+ plugs a hunt.
The AT Pro has its own language, but can be mastered in a few 100 hours (it's the iffy and broken targets that has to be learned).
Purchase good target extraction tools and save yourself a lot of time.
Learn proper target extraction techniques...very important when you start gaining private home permissions.
Dig everything for a while an learn the machine...I usually dig every repeating/consistent signal...do I dig a lot of trash yes, but I find some very nice things that have been left behind over the years.

If you should have any specific questions on the AT Pro Series, please PM me.

The MOST Important thing is to have fun, make friends, hunt with family and to enjoy the addiction (Oops, I mean hobby)!

Regards,

Doc

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
go to youtube and look at Brad's videos of hunting in the VT mountains. Green Mountain Metal Detecting. Some choice pickings when you learn how to find celler holes. I think Brad grew up in the area he hunts and gets a lot of tips about cellar holes from relatives and friends. But hey, if you know how to look for them you can find them.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Going to put my knee pads on in about an hour from now. Trying to beat the rain for awhile. Good luck to you Rick.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
think you can find vids on how to use at pro on utube also
I try to dig everything - best way to learn your machine - have found gold over the
years that went off as trash - others missed it - and have found lots of goodies
next to or under/with trash that others have missed because they used discrimination
to high or they try and cherry pic just the "good" signals
good luck
PS - my first hunts were just like yours and I almost gave it up - started in 1975
at age 12 and I'm still at it :icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tip- try to get permissions to hit old farm fields - you'll be surprised what you will find
plus easy digging
also - I learned my machine and honed my skills by hitting old yards
my own when I was a kid - family and friends and some times co-workers
Fall is good time for that - people don't care about their lawns as much
have done very well hitting yards - specially the old ones

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just too much like hard work for me anymore. I'm waiting for a detector that is designed like those vacuums that cruz around all by themselves only, the detector floats two inches off the ground. I'm waiting, sitting in my lawn chair, with my digging tool in my wife's lap.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro is a great machine. I use the pro zero setting. Dig all repeatable signals . Keep your coil low to the ground. Happy hunting.

OP
OP
Rick Dangerous

Rick Dangerous

Sep 12, 2018
St. Albans, VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is my hunt from this weekend past. I found a metric ton of nails and a few old can tops (not pictured) but also an old fishing lure (cool), what looks to be an old cast iron stovetop (neat) and two random metal items, the top of which is balled up and looks like silver or lead, and the bottom of which looks like a rock but registers as solid metal.

My question is, what do you guys do with objects like this, when you aren't sure what the metal is? Is there any way to test them? When do you bother and when do you chalk it up to being scrap metal? The rounded object is strange to me, but it feels like metal.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180929_161207.jpg
    IMG_20180929_161207.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok- I quickly scanned the responses and it doesn’t appear anybody mentioned it yet...
This hobby is constantly under attack. There are few “rights” associated with this hobby so we depend on everyone setting a good example so as to preserve good public opinion.

#1 obtain permission when detecting on private property.
#2 regardless of where your digging, always take special care to fill and cover your holes to the point they are not noticeable.
Even in the woods, take time to rake branches and leaves over the dig.
#3 always pack all of the undesirable targets out with you.
#4 when detecting in parks and yards, hone your skills on centering targets and digging the smallest hole possible. Preserve a good sized chunk of sod and pack it back into the hole tightly. A piece of cloth spread out on the ground will keep the dirt separated from the grass.
Have fun

Last edited:

GaryS57

Oct 12, 2018
Louisville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
None, researching
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow Hunters, I am brand new to this and I'm going to ask the million dollar question.

What detector do you recommend for a first timer? I want the most bang for my buck under a grand.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a great machine don't expect to go find silver and gold everytime you go out it takes a special kind of person to love this hobby. Its just as exciting what you might find as to what you do find. find your first gold or silver soon you will be hooked

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Fellow Hunters, I am brand new to this and I'm going to ask the million dollar question.

What detector do you recommend for a first timer? I want the most bang for my buck under a grand.
TON of answers...but not on this thread. Look around the site...:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread