Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trick is to let the plants begin to die back, but harvest before all the leaves have turned brown. The top-most, green leaves extend down, into the soil, around each garlic bulb. When the lower two thirds of leaves have dried up and turned brown, the garlic bulbs will be at their best.

So keep watering still.
Thank you for sharing your advice.helping me with the garlic.
On some plants now the top leader is starting to turn brown maybe three- four inches from the tip and maybe one lower one near the ground.can I continue to water the plants…….
Growing garlic always seemed to be something I was not capable of doing.I’m so happy I did not give up.when one is in doubt always ask for help
Glad to have helped , hit me up if you have any other gardening questions.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trick is to let the plants begin to die back, but harvest before all the leaves have turned brown. The top-most, green leaves extend down, into the soil, around each garlic bulb. When the lower two thirds of leaves have dried up and turned brown, the garlic bulbs will be at their best.

So keep watering still.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again I will keep watering and keep a eye on the leaves.
It’s such a amazing accomplishment and great teamwork here

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to have helped , hit me up if you have any other gardening questions.
ticndig.on the cucumbers I added some
Epson salt earlier and the leaves still have some yellow color in them what do you think I should try next

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you remove the mature garlic from the ground you ll see a bunch of babies attached-you need to make sure those stay in the ground
Thank you for the reply..I’m starting to learn the garlic process .what does that mean by keeping those babies in the ground..
Will they grow again?

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply..I’m starting to learn the garlic process .what does that mean by keeping those babies in the ground..
Will they grow again?
there's tons of info on the net from garlic farmers. I've grown hard neck garlic for many years and harvested thousands of bulbs and have never seen "babies on the roots" babies are bulblets and come from the scape. you can grow them but it takes a few years to get edible garlic from them. you can replant rounds if you find them , small round garlic that did not mature . but babies on the roots has never happened in my garden.

old texan

Sep 8, 2021
smack dab in the heart of texas
Detector(s) used
white's classic II white's dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there's tons of info on the net from garlic farmers. I've grown hard neck garlic for many years and harvested thousands of bulbs and have never seen "babies on the roots" babies are bulblets and come from the scape. you can grow them but it takes a few years to get edible garlic from them. you can replant rounds if you find them , small round garlic that did not mature . but babies on the roots has never happened in my garden.
maybe ours are different here-when i learn how to put a picture on here i will-maybe next year

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you tell me what garlic it is you're growing ? sounds more like a multiplier onion like Egyptian walking onions. I grow hard neck and soft neck garlic .

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed... Our garlic is just starting to scape out.. another 2 - 3 weeks and we will harvest it... we will dry some, use some and save some cloves for this fall planting

Micheal

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed... Our garlic is just starting to scape out.. another 2 - 3 weeks and we will harvest it... we will dry some, use some and save some cloves for this fall planting

Micheal
Micheal..good luck with your harvest sounds like a beautiful garden take care

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you tell me what garlic it is you're growing ? sounds more like a multiplier onion like Egyptian walking onions. I grow hard neck and soft neck garlic .
ticndig thanks again for your help what’s the difference between hard and soft neck garlic does one store better than the other and does one have more nutrients

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe ours are different here-when i learn how to put a picture on here i will-maybe next year
Thank you for the interesting research I also hope to see your pictures
Take care

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tight looking bulb, let the rest mature now.
When the leaves start to die/brown up then they're ready for harvesting.
Pepperj
I called the garden center store this morning and the garlic I got was German White.
It just cleaned up so nice
Take care

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticndig thanks again for your help what’s the difference between hard and soft neck garlic does one store better than the other and does one have more nutrients
Bill soft neck stores better over a longer time , with that said , I am able to store cured hardneck for about 9 months. I like hard neck because there are about 5 large cloves instead of a dozen small ones. Nutrient wise they are about the same but hard neck is a stronger garlic flavor so often has more Allicin . look that one up. you should only grow hard neck as they are the best choice for cold winters , if you lived in Florida you'd want to grow soft.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill soft neck stores better over a longer time , with that said , I am able to store cured hardneck for about 9 months. I like hard neck because there are about 5 large cloves instead of a dozen small ones. Nutrient wise they are about the same but hard neck is a stronger garlic flavor so often has more Allicin . look that one up. you should only grow hard neck as they are the best choice for cold winters , if you lived in Florida you'd want to grow soft.
Thank You it seems like soft neck is what’s in the stores I think
The variety I got is German White and it looks so nice
I’m getting my feet wet and starting to understand this process a little better
Take care

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a good dig🤣
Mike. Thanks again
Planted hard neck German White.
I’m new at it and still learning
Give it a try

Attachments

• 305C5E51-2DB9-4331-9BE7-A9EF33568FE4.jpeg
    305C5E51-2DB9-4331-9BE7-A9EF33568FE4.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks pretty soon I’ll be taking them out what’s the best method for curing and storage that works for you my friend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread