Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks pretty soon I’ll be taking them out what’s the best method for curing and storage that works for you my friend
dig the garlic when soil is somewhat dry and move to a shaded area , basement , barn or what have you . the sun will ruin the garlic so shade is a must . spread out to a single layer and allow whole plants to dry until the leaves are crispy , about two weeks . then trim roots and stem off , leave 1'' of stem . rub skin lightly to give a clean appearance . the garlic is now cured and fit for storage . store out of the light in a wire basket or mesh bag . should keep almost a year . here's my 150 for the year . I save some back for next years seed and eat the rest.
DSCN2525.JPG

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig the garlic when soil is somewhat dry and move to a shaded area , basement , barn or what have you . the sun will ruin the garlic so shade is a must . spread out to a single layer and allow whole plants to dry until the leaves are crispy , about two weeks . then trim roots and stem off , leave 1'' of stem . rub skin lightly to give a clean appearance . the garlic is now cured and fit for storage . store out of the light in a wire basket or mesh bag . should keep almost a year . here's my 150 for the year . I save some back for next years seed and eat the rest. View attachment 2034130
Thank You for your reply and advice.Good job I like your technique.
I have a small area in the basement that could probably work but I usually don’t put food there
I have some chicken wire could that work

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for your reply and advice.Good job I like your technique.
I have a small area in the basement that could probably work but I usually don’t put food there
I have some chicken wire could that work
Great picture I like your storage rack what kind of material is it
.I see that a lot of your plants stems are brownish is that the way you pulled them as mine is still green and how many days should I stop watering approx.before I pull them out
Thanks again for the privilege of your time

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the rack is a tin coated with plastic cloths drying rack , most were just on tables . the garlic in the pic was harvested 3 weeks ago and was trimmed up just before the pic . holding back water makes the roots come out cleaner so they cure and dry better . you just don't want to dig them and have a big clump of mud on them , maybe you don't even have clay there ,I don't know. always dig the garlic not pull , gently shake the heavy soil away and handle the garlic gently . all these things add to storage longevity . If you're only harvesting a few it's not a big deal because you'll use them before they go bad. if you harvest a lot you want to do all you can to get them to last as long as they can. if you wait too long to harvest they will burst open and not keep well at all . if any burst use those first.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the rack is a tin coated with plastic cloths drying rack , most were just on tables . the garlic in the pic was harvested 3 weeks ago and was trimmed up just before the pic . holding back water makes the roots come out cleaner so they cure and dry better . you just don't want to dig them and have a big clump of mud on them , maybe you don't even have clay there ,I don't know. always dig the garlic not pull , gently shake the heavy soil away and handle the garlic gently . all these things add to storage longevity . If you're only harvesting a few it's not a big deal because you'll use them before they go bad. if you harvest a lot you want to do all you can to get them to last as long as they can. if you wait too long to harvest they will burst open and not keep well at all . if any burst use those first.
Thank You Again for helping
I’ll let you know how it goes
Take care

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the above should have read " it was trimmed after the pic not before'' the hardest part of growing garlic is knowing when to dig them up. if you wait too long it splits . watch the plants carefully . good luck ..

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the above should have read " it was trimmed after the pic not before'' the hardest part of growing garlic is knowing when to dig them up. if you wait too long it splits . watch the plants carefully . good luck ..
Thank You ..I will try my best

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice garlic, Bill! A friend gave me some Sicilian Red several years ago and told me to plant in the fall ( after September ) and harvest around July 4th. Does that sound about right?

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice garlic, Bill! A friend gave me some Sicilian Red several years ago and told me to plant in the fall ( after September ) and harvest around July 4th. Does that sound about right?
OD
So many years went by without planting anything.Last Fall in late November I planted German White Hardneck garlic that I got from the garden center..
Hardneck is better for colder Winters here in NY
When planting try to break up the cloves while leaving the skin on and I think the top of the Cloves were approx four inches deep.
Cover water and add shredded straw for gardening
I’m a rookie at this and glad I accept the challenge.
So far so good
Let me know if this helps
Take care
Bill

Attachments

• 1094AEDF-D988-47A7-A9DC-9A5AE68F807A.jpeg
    1094AEDF-D988-47A7-A9DC-9A5AE68F807A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OD
So many years went by without planting anything.Last Fall in late November I planted German White Hardneck garlic that I got from the garden center..
Hardneck is better for colder Winters here in NY
When planting try to break up the cloves while leaving the skin on and I think the top of the Cloves were approx four inches deep.
Cover water and add shredded straw for gardening
I’m a rookie at this and glad I accept the challenge.
So far so good
Let me know if this helps
Take care
Bill
Also I dug a few up already and added to tomato sauce and probably will be taking the rest soon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions