First Gold in Iowa

IowaRiverWalker

Greenie
Oct 9, 2017
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a gold pan a few years ago before going to Arizona for a family vacation. Never got a chance to use it. I decided to give it a try in Iowa. I went out to a creek for fun. I didn't think there would be any gold but I surprised myself. Here is the first ever spot I found gold, and my first day take.

DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0027.JPG

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, fellow glacial gold prospector! Looks like a beautiful spot to pan.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! Keep digging!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the picture. It is out there good job.

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First day out and first spot - I'd say you did really well! I lived in Iowa till 5th grade (Keokuk, Iowa). Was any of the gold found within the underlying clay layer or just in gravel above? Am guessing within gravel. Try skimming gravel just above the clay layer - good place for gold to concentrate. Keep digging and posting...

OP
OP
I

IowaRiverWalker

Greenie
Oct 9, 2017
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the gold was found above the clay in the gravel. As you can see in the picture I dug a bit into the clay straight down but the consistency was the same, nothing interesting mixed in the clay. I'm kind of curious how deep the clay would go but it's not practical to dig.

Bandmenter

Oct 28, 2016
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things, welcome to TNet and congratulations on finding color on your first run. I live in Humboldt county and this was also my first year playing in the gravels. Was always a dream of mine so when my daughter showed interest, it reignited the flame. Last winter I built a high banker, bought a pump, grabbed a few shovels and off we went. Had about the same luck, enough color to get me back out there. Would like to chat if you would be interested.

Bill

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the gold was found above the clay in the gravel. As you can see in the picture I dug a bit into the clay straight down but the consistency was the same, nothing interesting mixed in the clay. I'm kind of curious how deep the clay would go but it's not practical to dig.

Best of luck in that area. Looks pretty good with a shallow clay bed -- will be interesting to see what you come up with after a few more outings. Any sharp bends in creek where you could dig on an inside bend?

OP
OP
I

IowaRiverWalker

Greenie
Oct 9, 2017
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best of luck in that area. Looks pretty good with a shallow clay bed -- will be interesting to see what you come up with after a few more outings. Any sharp bends in creek where you could dig on an inside bend?

Yep about .3 miles upstream there is a section of sharp bends. I haven't worked the bends at all. I only got back out three to the spot pictured and it produced again each time.

Here in Iowa its getting cold fast, so Ill be back out next summer.

I plan on adding a small stream sluice and really move material.

I also found a cool item...I believe its a Maqui Ball/Shaman Stone from what I could research.

ball1.jpg
ball2.jpg

OP
OP
I

IowaRiverWalker

Greenie
Oct 9, 2017
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its Winter now and I SOLD my original Garret 14" Gravity Trap and SE 1/8" classifier. I BOUGHT an Angus MacKirk Recon II Sluice and took it out right before not enjoyable water temps back in very late October. Used it in less than ideal conditions just for "proof of concept." The sluice run was encouraging. I had good material exchange/agitation and had gold to show. (Very fine and very small weight) So long story short, the Recon Sluice works, and catches gold.

I then bought a Garrett "Super Sluice" pan to replace the 14" Gravity Trap I sold. I wanted the bigger pan mostly to get a bigger flat bottom area. I found myself sometimes wanting more flat bottom surface area.

I still have to make/buy a classifier. I think a classifier that fits INTO my bucket would be awesome. So the material in the classifier sits deep in water. My SE Classifier sat mostly ON TOP of the bucket and I had to sometimes pour water over material which slowed me down and was tiring.

Wanting to make or buy a classifier that sits deep in a bucket so material will be totally submerged and i can just kind of shake/agitate and let the material fall.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Google "how to make a screen classifier out of a bucket"......the results show a few youtube ideas. I did not look at them all but I do like this one providing that the screen is installed so that it is below water level in the catch bucket.

Good luck

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Researched gold in Iowa and not a lot found. Mostly flour gold and usually east of I-35 to the Mississippi River region. Congrats on your find.
As a kid, we used to live a couple hundred yards from the North River. I was down there practically every day. Heck, I use to play hookie from school just to go down to the river.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut 6-8" from the bucket bottom, then a hole 1/2" from the edge of the bottom of that piece. I used a sturdy piece of 3/8th" aluminum flat expanded to line the bottom of the bucket. Drilled a couple holes for long bolts near the top. This sits about half way into a five gallon bucket. Shake, rattle, roll, and throw...

Rustypan

Jan 3, 2023
Its Winter now and I SOLD my original Garret 14" Gravity Trap and SE 1/8" classifier. I BOUGHT an Angus MacKirk Recon II Sluice and took it out right before not enjoyable water temps back in very late October. Used it in less than ideal conditions just for "proof of concept." The sluice run was encouraging. I had good material exchange/agitation and had gold to show. (Very fine and very small weight) So long story short, the Recon Sluice works, and catches gold.

I then bought a Garrett "Super Sluice" pan to replace the 14" Gravity Trap I sold. I wanted the bigger pan mostly to get a bigger flat bottom area. I found myself sometimes wanting more flat bottom surface area.

I still have to make/buy a classifier. I think a classifier that fits INTO my bucket would be awesome. So the material in the classifier sits deep in water. My SE Classifier sat mostly ON TOP of the bucket and I had to sometimes pour water over material which slowed me down and was tiring.

Wanting to make or buy a classifier that sits deep in a bucket so material will be totally submerged and i can just kind of shake/agitate and let the material fall.
Sluice fox makes a classifier and flair goes right on the river sluice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions