Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
wow, what a weekend.
most of my easy to get to spots seem to be worked out.
so friday i took a trip to find some new ground.
the area is very remote and very rugged country.
found a shallow tributary 3' wide by 300' long that had some nice gold in it.
funny thing is, most of it was in an area about 10 feet long and then nothing more.
thinking the the nuggets were big enough for the 5000 to find i went back out today and
found my first nugget with the 5000, 26 grains.
total for the 2 days was 100 grains or 6.47 grams.
i cleaned it out good with the detectors. would love to drywash the area but its like
a 2 mile hike from where i parked the honda in a wash.

Attachments

• Mahoney2 (2).jpg
    Mahoney2 (2).jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Mahoney3.jpg
    Mahoney3.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 77
  • mahoney4.jpg
    mahoney4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

CaribooCam

May 27, 2015
The North West
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love how coarse those are, still holding onto the quartz. That's Beauty!

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold. Looks like you are close to the source. Congrats!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some Great Gold! Beautiful!:hello2:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
wow,what a cool place you found,i would find a way to get a dry washer in there,one piece at a time if i had to.
good luck to you
brad

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya need a Whippet!

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt...!!!! Wished I was down there this time of year......keep em coming!!!!

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a whippet, could go in there with you next fall! I am looking for places to go next season and want to start planning some trips.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
A whippet is a little small to be carrying all your prospecting equipment, a pack goat or mule would work better :tongue3:

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whippet is a little small to be carrying all your prospecting equipment, a pack goat or mule would work better :tongue3:
But what if the whippet is much faster than the goat or mule? The whippet can make several trips with less gear. Still get all your gear there before the goat or mule.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations on the finds, nice gold indeed.

You mentioned the gold was concentrated in a short space (I imagined you meant nothing above and nothing below that short section?). Is it possible (considering it's quartzy nature) that the origin is from a smaller side feeder that runs into your little dry stream? Or, perhaps the gold is sluffing off from a ledge on one side or the other? It might be worth it to work off to either side of your "pay streak" with your detectors to see if you can find where the gold is feeding from.

Regardless, great finds, and nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
But what if the whippet is much faster than the goat or mule? The whippet can make several trips with less gear. Still get all your gear there before the goat or mule.

A dog sled team of whippets mushing through the desert with a sled packed full of drywashing equipment, guided by a very determined prospector. Im sorry to continue to go off topic, but this is too funny... to get back to your awesome finds, what Lanny said is spot on. Pocket gold always has defined lines. Its there and then its gone. Being in a wash moves it more, but the rule of gravity remains. that is course gold, no doubt youre on a patch. find out which side of the bank its coming from, or maybe it intersects the wash?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread