vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice find verbious! I pulled this from another thread and noticed yours looks like "number 8."

1.jpg 2.jpg

Solved: How do you date horseshoes? (Feb 27, 2012, 11:30 AM)

The information that was provided was found in the book: Artifacts of Colonial America by Ivor Noel Hume. (Don't shoot the messenger-call the author!) As noted, dating horseshoes is difficult at best. As with any hand-made item, the maker has the liberty to make it as he/she wishes. A current gunmaker could easily produce a flintlock rifle with all the early fixtures, but it obviously would not be old. Same thing with an ancient spear/arrow point. All one can do is go with the professional studies that have been documented and make your best guess.
tn_horse_shoes.jpg

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info! To think this horseshoe cold be from the late 1800s is pretty cool! Ithink I'm going to make an electrolysis tank to clean this up!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an addiction to horse shoes... I have no idea why but I save all of them

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a bucket list item for me and my Mom was laughing at me when she asked me if I was going to dig up any coins or gold or jewelry and I said "nope! I'm gonna dig up an intact horseshoe!". Lol

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
thanks VPNAVY , i just posted a couple horsehoes i found . looks like one is old

MathewsZ7

Mar 29, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a real nice shoe! I'm spoiled where I hunt I guess, very old horse properties..........spend my life digging these things up. Almost every hunt at some places I get a nice intact one in good condition and it goes over the fireplace with the rest!!!!!

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting on property that my grandparents bought after the war. They originally had 148 acres and I think there is just under 90 acres that belongs to my aunt. The property was established in the mid 1800s and I've found 1862 maps of the property that show cabins, old roads, etc. I've found old coins, buttons, buckles, and many iron artifacts. A gas pipeline is going in and I can wait to get out and detect the dirt that gets disturbed. I've been hunting the woods and it will soon be too thick to swing a detector, so I will concentrate on the easy to dig areas near the farm house.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks old