🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the Coilek out for the first time this morning to the spot at the lake I've been hunting for the last 14 months. I will say, I was a little concerned because of the first couple of reviews about the coil. I had to remind myself that soil conditions, settings, modes and time on the machine decide how well a coil will perform, not test gardens, no offense to anyone.

I set the Nox up as follows.....

Park 1

Recovery speed - 3

Iron Bias F2-0

GB-0, I did a manual GB and it GB'd at 4, so I decided to run it at 0

Sen. 23, EMI isn't factor out here until I get closer to the main entrance.

2-Tones

Tone break set at -2 , no disc

Iron tone set at 3, volume at 3 as well.

I have bursitis, so I hooked up my bungy, I use Doc's Swingy Thingy and started swinging away. I started hitting the usual stuff, pull tabs, bottle caps, etc. I focused on the low conductive numbers just to see if the 15" coil would hit the small stuff like the 11" coil. After the first 2 hours I was pretty satisfied with the coils ability to hit some pretty small stuff, on par with 11"

The soil here is very mild, I'm not so sure it would perform as well with the small stuff if the soil was pretty hot, but here, it nailed some smaller targets with no problem. All the items in the picture came in at 10 or below. The target that sealed the deal for me was the brass bead, the one on the stud of the earring, about the size of a BB. It was hitting small pieces of foil in the 1-2 VDI range with no problem.

Both of the earrings hit at 10, about 3" deep. It will hit coins on edge with no problem, I dug 2 zinc's standing straight up and down.

The numbers appear to match the 11", I didn't see any noticeable difference between either coil's IDing.

I will be taking the coil to an old park tomorrow that I was able to hit some 8-9" wheats and silver with the CTX and the Nox with the 11" coil, last year. I quit hitting the spot when the finds completely dried up. EMI is an issue because I'm surrounded by power lines on 2 sides, I will post my finds, or lack of, tomorrow evening.

I've used Coiltek coils on the Explorer and Etrac and was satisfied with the performance, that's why I jumped on board as fast as I did. If you have a question about the coil, let me know, I'll try to answer it.

Attachments

• lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 80
  • equipment.jpg
    equipment.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 90
  • bead.jpg
    bead.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 77
  • total finds.jpg
    total finds.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 91

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t judge too quickly. If on par with ML 12x15 you still gain the improvement in coverage. And doubtless at least some depth increase

Swing coverage is essentially the same between the two coils because they are both 15" DDs (vice concentric coils) so the active region of the coil down the center of the coil from heel to toe is essentially the same on both coils. The only real advantage is depth (typically on larger targets) because of the increased overall footprint of the 15" round vs. the 15x12 gives a marginally higher magnetic field strength, at the cost of increased weight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to take it to a deep coin spot yet, but, I have taken it back to the lake. There isn't any sand or smooth ground where I've been hunting because this lake has a river shoreline. The exposed beach is all rock and large gravel, therefore very few items are laying flat. On Sunday I went out for a couple of hours and was impressed with how well the 15" coil was hitting coins on edge, I'm talking straight up and down, I dug 4 of these. The coins gave a double hit, but, the VDI was bouncing around where it should be on the type of coin.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excellent info, with the 11, I can only hit a coin on edge with the head or tails facing the coil as I sweep it. If I sweep 90 degrees it disappears, I guess because the edge can’t be seen by the 11. Glad to find this out. HH

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a waste of money and tests have proven how bad ot is

Geordiedan

Apr 4, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a waste of money and tests have proven how bad ot is

Are there any links / non-biased reviews about that? I have the 10x5" and finding it pretty good in some of my trashy sites, was considering wither the ML 15" or the Coiltek as a future purchase for summer...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any links / non-biased reviews about that? I have the 10x5" and finding it pretty good in some of my trashy sites, was considering wither the ML 15" or the Coiltek as a future purchase for summer...

Don't feed the bears. Look what it makes them do to the cash register. Disgusting. :occasion18:

I personally haven't seen any reviews trashing the 15" Coiltek performance, but it is not my cup of tea primarily because of it's weight/cost vs. lack of any appreciable depth performance (over the ML 15x12 elliptical) and increased ground noise potential make it an overall low value proposition for me. Love my 10x5 Coiltek, though.

Last edited:

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feed the bears. Look what it makes them do to the cash register. Disgusting. :occasion18:

I personally haven't seen any reviews trashing the 15" Coiltek performance, but it is not my cup of tea primarily because of it's weight/cost vs. lack of any appreciable depth performance (over the ML 15x12 elliptical) and increased ground noise potential make it an overall low value proposition for me. Love my 10x5 Coiltek, though.

I will take the Tarsacci 12" coil for $1000 Alex...............

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my 12x 15" nails dimes close to 10" and IHPs almost 11". So far don't see a reason to change

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where are people purchasing these coils? I don't see them available anywhere.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where are people purchasing these coils? I don't see them available anywhere.

Should be why are people bothering?

Surely we've all seen the youtube videos showing it showing ZERO performance gain over the Minelab 15" coil....it actually got less depth.

I have 3 years experience on the Equinox and have owned 15" and the 6"...sold them both...NOTHING beats the 11" stock coil.

Matt

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be why are people bothering?

Surely we've all seen the youtube videos showing it showing ZERO performance gain over the Minelab 15" coil....it actually got less depth.

I have 3 years experience on the Equinox and have owned 15" and the 6"...sold them both...NOTHING beats the 11" stock coil.

Matt

Would be interested why the Minelab 15" coil did not fit your needs or improve an edge over the 11" coil?

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coz its a well known fact they are NO deeper...weight spoils the fun.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want the coverage. To each his own...

The ML 15x12 gives the same swing coverage and is a couple hundred grams lighter. But if you need the additional couple inches of depth, the 15" round will get it done from the posts I've seen including a 7 silver hunt averaging 9+ inches of depth and greater in medium ground. Maybe it doesn't work on the other side of the pond for some reason. :dontknow: :laughing7:

Last edited:

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ML 15x12 gives the same swing coverage and is a couple hundred grams lighter. But if you need the additional couple inches of depth, the 15" round will get it done from the posts I've seen including a 7 silver hunt averaging 9+ inches of depth and greater in medium ground. Maybe it doesn't work on the other side of the pond for some reason. :dontknow: :laughing7:

Do we really have a good test garden result??? Everything I have seen says the Minelab 15" coil wins. So what is it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread