First Impressions of the CTX3030 Vs. Spectra V3I

denwag

Nov 8, 2015
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
V3i, CTX3030, AT Pro, Garrett Carrot, TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only had the CTX3030 One Week . Spent about 8 hours swinging it. Bought the Andy Sabisch book read it cover to cover. Made several of his Patterns and uploaded them to the CTX. Found 8 or so wheats some clad and one Merc with it so far. Here are my first Impressions Pro and Con. This will probably change in the future but at least it opens up the conversation for anyone considering either. I might add I found those wheats and silver in an area I hit heavily already with the V3i. But only after Scouring that area for about 4 hours

Pros of the CTX3030

Sounds are much richer and functionally easier to customize.
GPS is a nice feature that I will use to program places to search.
Much Simpler to set up and operate.
EMI Elimination is a effective one click solution and then your done.
No Ground balance required
Seems to find some targets the were Missed by the V3I in Trash areas
Pin Pointing is more accurate
Unit is very Sturdy and waterproof no cords exposed.

Cons of the CTX3030

Digging more trash targets
Does not give me any Indications of metal type. Miss knowing whether I am digging a Silver target with good odds.

Comments

So at the End of day with the V3i I can go to a new site and very quickly cherry pick most of the silver and dig perhaps only 10-20 percent trash. With the CTX going to the same site I may dig a few more bottle caps and sheet metal but I may also dig some interesting things I would have passed on with the V3I. On the CTX FE-CO for Coins has a resolution of 0-50 on the V3I 0-100. I can tell whether I'm digging Wheatys or Silver dime with greater confidence on the V3i but have no way to know on the CTX

Conclusions

The CTX is a turn on and go unit that gives you many good tool to find good targets. The CTX is a Mercedes the V3I is a Lexus. You pay much more for the CTX but you get more bells and whistles Ultimately both get you to the same destination at the same time. How much more luxury you have to decide. Does is find Coins with more accuracy? In my opinion no. The fact that it may separate slightly better in Iron Trash does not outweigh the many more clues that the V3I gives you about a Target. If you are in a Clean environment like a Field and Digging Everything. The CTX is the better Unit. If you are at a moderately clean House place or Front Yard and only have a limited time to dig the V3I is the better Unit. To tell you the truth I am slightly disappointed at the CTX. I figured a 1000 dollar more expensive unit would make finding coins 1000 dollars easier. That is not the case.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update this in 2 or 3 months of good use on the ctx. Also Try Combined 4 tones, open up you disc., Ferrous coin or high trash if you haven't already.. thanks for your input

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you need a SOLID basis in both detectors to make a really good comparison. Both will have particular good and bad points, but they won't really be obvious when new. The CTX is so completely different it takes a while to really get a handle of. Just keep using it, that trash amount will go down. When I am coin hunting, I dig very little trash.

OP
OP
D

denwag

Nov 8, 2015
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
V3i, CTX3030, AT Pro, Garrett Carrot, TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First time at a local part with my new CTX3030 Spent two hours there this morning. Running US Coin program from Andy Sabisch's Book. Ill say one thing when the CTX says 12-46 you can bet the farm its a quarter.

Attachments

• cladatthepark.jpg
    cladatthepark.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread