SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I has the Legend out for its first lake hunt this afternoon and I have to say I was less than impressed. It was nice to be able to distinguish iron targets but swinging the large coil through the water wasn’t pleasant. It felt too big, off balanced, just didn’t move through the water easily and it was hard to pinpoint my target. If I do continue to use it for water hunting I will need to pick up the six inch coil or wait to see if Nokta comes out with other coils

Another issue was the headphones. If I got any higher that waist high in the water the headphones disconnected. I thought they were okay unless you got them wet but I guess not. So if I am going to continue to use it I guess I will need to buy the waterproof headphones.

At this point rather than spend another couple hundred dollars, I will just continue to water hunt with my Tiger Shark. Weight wise it’s heavier than the Legend but it feels lighter in the water and after hunting with it for fourteen years I know what every squeak or squeal means.

Tony-Ok

Jun 27, 2019
Oklahoma City Ok
Detector(s) used
XP ORX and Minelab 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I has the Legend out for its first lake hunt this afternoon and I have to say I was less than impressed. It was nice to be able to distinguish iron targets but swinging the large coil through the water wasn’t pleasant. It felt too big, off balanced, just didn’t move through the water easily and it was hard to pinpoint my target. If I do continue to use it for water hunting I will need to pick up the six inch coil or wait to see if Nokta comes out with other coils

Another issue was the headphones. If I got any higher that waist high in the water the headphones disconnected. I thought they were okay unless you got them wet but I guess not. So if I am going to continue to use it I guess I will need to buy the waterproof headphones.

At this point rather than spend another couple hundred dollars, I will just continue to water hunt with my Tiger Shark. Weight wise it’s heavier than the Legend but it feels lighter in the water and after hunting with it for fourteen years I know what every squeak or squeal means.

Nokta Makro will have an SP 24 coil 5.5”x9” according to Dilek. Hopefully soon.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right to wait on headphones for now. Some company will come up with a water dedicated multi frequency unit. Haven't been keeping up wiith the forums. The legend might be it. Any drowned legends? And not from operator error like loose connectors.

OP
OP
SusanMN

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right to wait on headphones for now. Some company will come up with a water dedicated multi frequency unit. Haven't been keeping up wiith the forums. The legend might be it. Any drowned legends? And not from operator error like loose connectors.
Havent heard of any drowning. My control box was under water and was fine.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problems with Legend or Simplex under salt water. Plus the vibration feature is great under water and watching the sands ahead, not the box, for green glass while walking the beach.

OP
OP
SusanMN

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my Tiger Shark to the same lake a couple days later. I found a couple nickels, and a penny that had clearly been there a while and were in the same area I had gone over with the Legend and missed.

Unfortunately this was the Tiger Sharks last hunt. It had been in for service a year before Tesoro closed and they had replaced the coil with a non removable one but apparently that coil has failed because it started screeching when the coil wire is touched or moved. That just bites. So looks like it is the Legend or not water hunting.

Last edited:

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a bummer, they changed the design. Maybe see if anyone could repair it. Sounds like it's fixable. Bad solder job or insulation.

Last edited:

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try some LS Pelso headphones for the water hunting. Have been water hunting almost daily with a Legend now and am pleased. Really wishing they'd get this next update released, as it'll mean a few changes likely from the current settings. A 5.5x9 coil would be a welcome addition for certain places. Wishing the main housing/arm-cuff was built tougher, as it flexes a bunch when sun baked and in general in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread