First old lead seal .. any ideas?

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did a couple hunts at an old farm field that was recently cut to harvest the hay. I have found old coppers here in the past, including a corroded Fugio cent. The findings were somewhat slim, though I managed a few keepers. My favorite find is this lead seal, my first that I know of. It is white with age, and the only lettering I see is XI (or IX). Any lead seal experts out there that can offer any ideas about its approximate age, general purpose, or country of origin based on its size, construction, color, and limited markings? I realize that is a big ask, but I know there are a lot of impressive minds on this site. I have learned a bit online, but nothing of help thus far, so would appreciate any insights. I also found parts of a shattered crotal bell, including the suspension loop, I believe. The two round balls are perhaps the largest caliber and whitest I have found. Also found a flat button, probably from the early to mid 1800s, and a slick quarter-sized copper. Rounding out the finds are the obligatory wheat pennies. Thanks for looking. Happy Hunting!

Edit note; I added another photo. It turns out the markings that go in a circle around the edge are actually letters. All I can make out though is what I think is ...AFT and also ...HALL, maybe.

20210623_152036.jpg

Attachments

• 20210622_181013.jpg
    20210622_181013.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210622_181041.jpg
    20210622_181041.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210622_180942.jpg
    20210622_180942.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210622_180344.jpg
    20210622_180344.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Upvote 10

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting finds Steve. :occasion14:
Too bad about the corroded Fugio Cent, but this shows that there may have been some early activity on this site. The lead bale seal is interesting as well, my first thought was cotton. :icon_scratch: Here's an interesting article I found about the Industrial Revolution in Massachusetts
in the early 19thc.

Massachusetts in the Industrial Revolution
By Rebecca Beatrice Brooks

The industrial revolution completely transformed Massachusetts in the 19th century. It changed the economy, society, transportation, health and medicine and led to many inventions and firsts in Massachusetts history. The industrial revolution began in England and eventually spread to the rest of the world, but came late to the United States, finally arriving in the late 1700s and early 1800s. Before the industrial revolution, Massachusetts economy was based primarily on agriculture, fishing and maritime shipping. After the industrial revolution began in England in the late 18th century, American manufacturers were determined to improve American manufacturing. American manufacturers feared that if England continued to monopolize manufacturing and trade, America would be dependent on English imports forever and its economy would suffer.

When the Embargo Act of 1807 cut off imports from Britain, this forced Americans to increase the amount of goods they manufactured. By 1810, the U.S. had built about 50 cotton-yarn mills. When the War of 1812 broke out, British ships blockaded the Massachusetts coast, completely cutting them off from the sea. This forced the state to not only find other ways to make money but also to supply their own needs, particularly cloth. As a result, this sped up the process of industrialization in Massachusetts and textile manufacturing quickly went from being a cottage industry, where work was performed on a small scale at home, to a large-scale factory system.

Textiles mills in Massachusetts played a pivotal role in the industrialization of the United States. Textile mills were the first manufacturers to use modern production methods during the Industrial Revolution and thus textiles became the dominant industry during this time period. The industrial revolution was brought to America by a British-born merchant, Samuel Slater, who built the first successful cotton spinning mill in America in Rhode Island, and also by an American merchant, Francis Cabot Lowell, who built the first integrated cotton spinning and weaving facility in America in Massachusetts. Lowell, who was born in Newburyport, Mass, in 1775, was a successful merchant who visited England in 1810, at the age of 36, and was so impressed by the British textile mills that it inspired him to start his own mills. In 1813, Lowell and several partners formed the Boston Manufacturing Company and introduced a power loom, based on the British model, that had been tweaked with many technological improvements.

The company built a large brick mill next to the Charles River in Waltham, Massachusetts that incorporated various technologies to convert raw cotton into cloth. The mill integrated the chain of tasks under one roof, known as the Lowell System. This system was later adopted across the country and became the basis of the American manufacturing system. Lowell died of an illness in 1817 and left his company to his investors. Dividends were paid out and, in 1822, the investors started a new, and much larger, mill town, which they named Lowell in honor of their leader. Lowell, Massachusetts is known as ?the cradle of the American Industrial Revolution? since it was the first large scale factory town in the country.​

Attachments

• Massachusetts in the Industrial Revolution.png
    Massachusetts in the Industrial Revolution.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Antiquarian.. thanks for the comments and the very interesting article, Dave. Wish I had more to go by to identify this lead seal. I have never found one before, and find it sort of interesting. Oh well.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much help with ID but we found our first ever bale seal yesterday! Not near as nice as yours!

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about seals, but cool find!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

I believe it is a bale seal, nice find!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few in my life and I really enjoy researching where they came from. I usually start with the railroad companies and go from there. Nice find!

aj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread