jepjet

Greenie
Nov 8, 2010
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I believe is a lightly worked scraper? Found along a Penobscot run stream just below a chokepoint following a significant confluence. High water this year really cleaned the banks, not as scoured as previous big ice out years but large eddies worked traditional high water bank where I found it laying exposed. Unsure of type and source. (Kineo, Munsungun) Porous, not glossy like lots of chert. The two toned color and texture are very distinct. Very smooth and pommel like on the dark side. Appears minimally worked with only four large flakes off of one side. Possibly a couple of broken spurs? Pretty sure user was a lefty. What do you think? Any info you would be appreciative as site is my homestead.

Attachments

• IMG-1980.jpg
    IMG-1980.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG-1981.jpg
    IMG-1981.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG-1983.jpg
    IMG-1983.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG-1984.jpg
    IMG-1984.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG-1986.jpg
    IMG-1986.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I am not seeing any secondary edge work on this side, which is where I would expect to see it on a flake scraper like that. IMO
topside.jpg

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
It is an artifact. It a large percussion flake.

I have to agree with dognose. Maybe a better focused photo would clearly show the edge work you see.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to agree with dognose. Maybe a better focused photo would clearly show the edge work you see.
One of the cornflakes in my morning bowl of cereal showed signs of being worked . I am certain of it.

OP
OP
J

jepjet

Greenie
Nov 8, 2010
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Guys, both of those comments round out most of what I'm seeing. A large primary flake, and no dognose, there isn't any secondary flaking on those 4 planes.

Those 4 planes however are 4 negative flakes on there own with much less wear than the primary plane on the lighter (non-cortex) side. As if they were done post initial flake then carried/weathered before being worked again. Maybe an ad hoc cutting tool?

Lastly, it is not local to my area and I'm leaning toward it being rhyolite which would suggest Mt Kineo.

Good news is I'm happy with it regardless and know there are artifacts here and I will keep looking!

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The patiinated flakes were struck while it was still attached to the parent nucleus. No doubt on that point.

Differential patination could be due to its position in the ground over time (compare some Knife River Chalcedony pieces on which only one side is patinated).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions