First Post: Are most of these just random rocks? Or are they something more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of these items appears to be special, what about the rest?

Greetings all,

I kept coming upon this site while doing research, so I figured why not make a post.

Long story short I stumbled upon a few items (first two sets) along a freshly eroded bank line while on my way back from fishing on a local stream.

I've already had the first item looked a by a prominent anthropologist; he has absolutely no idea what it is nor how it was formed. Needless to say, he was quite intrigued and requested photos of anything and everything I've found nearby.

Going to collect a few more items then send everything in. In the meantime, is there anything here that jumps out at you? I've done quite a bit of research and to me, some of these sure look like tools. That said, I am an absolute rookie at this, and I have my doubts. Any/all feedback is appreciated!

(Also, I uploaded hi-res photos, you'll need to click on each thumbnail, then click again to see the hi-res version. Please don't judge the photos by the thumbnails, they really don't do any of the items justice.)

Thanks!

IMG_4007.jpg IMG_6978.JPG IMG_7079.jpg IMG_7165.jpg IMG_8509.jpg IMG_4065.jpg IMG_1237.jpg IMG_1831.jpg IMG_6870.jpg IMG_6873.jpg IMG_6953.jpg IMG_6960.jpg IMG_6965.jpg IMG_6987.jpg IMG_6995.jpg IMG_7001.JPG IMG_7028.jpg IMG_7031.jpg IMG_7069.jpg IMG_7074.jpg IMG_7047.jpg IMG_7046.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
without seeing and holding them in person i'd say just from the pictures there might be a flake or 2 of flint in there but everything looks natural to me. it's not just about the shape. you also need to look for signs of how it was made. are there peck marks or sanding where it was formed? is there wear marks from use? for example the rocks with the hols in them , there is no sign of it being drilled and no wear from use , more then likely erosion made it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
without seeing and holding them in person i'd say just from the pictures there might be a flake or 2 of flint in there but everything looks natural to me. it's not just about the shape. you also need to look for signs of how it was made. are there peck marks or sanding where it was formed? is there wear marks from use? for example the rocks with the hols in them , there is no sign of it being drilled and no wear from use , more then likely erosion made it.

I get the impression you didn't click enough times to view the hi-res photos?

(Also, I uploaded hi-res photos, you'll need to click on each thumbnail, then click again to see the hi-res version. Please don't judge the photos by the thumbnails, they really don't do any of the items justice.)

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
While we're on the subject: How do I link high-res photos in my post? I want to be a part of this forum, but it's going to bother me to no end if I upload Hi-Res photos, only to be immediately judged on pixelated thread thumbnails.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, welcome. Second, those are all naturally formed rocks. You will find an artifact soon I'm sure. It's a process we've all been through.

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, welcome. Second, those are all naturally formed rocks. You will find an artifact soon I'm sure. It's a process we've all been through.

Anthropology Professor Emeritus had quite a different take on the matter.

Are you honestly stating this piece is "natural" and not a plummet?

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 7.21.28 AM.png

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont see any artifacts there. A high resolution picture isnt going to change that, although I did click on the round stone with a hole in it and you can see that it was not drilled. Its much to rough around the inside of it. It is possible it was picked up and kept by an indian though.The scratch marks caught my eye, but I still doubt it being an artifact. Just my opinion.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583068274.365666.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583068291.385742.jpg
I like these two as debitage at least, maybe a tool fragment.
The ones with holes almost look metallic, but maybe that’s just the light

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anthropology is not a science that specifically relates to Native American artifacts. If you disagree with Mr. Clark about plummets you will lose everytime. You ask for opinions then categorically disagree with every opinion. If you felt they were all authentic why ask?

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anthropology is not a science that specifically relates to Native American artifacts. If you disagree with Mr. Clark about plummets you will lose everytime. You ask for opinions then categorically disagree with every opinion. If you felt they were all authentic why ask?

First things first: If I'm coming off as disrespectful please know that is not my intent.

Just that I found some items that can't be easily explained, and I want to have an engaged discussion surrounding them. I'm not going to be afforded this luxury once I submit the photos to a higher power: It's been made clear they do not want to discuss anything with me.

:icon_thumleft:

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d bet you have some artifacts in there, who knows maybe all of them. The problem is in your pictures they look like plain old rocks, so to get upset at someone offering that OPINION, which is all it is and the more intelligent responders make that clear, makes no sense. All you can do is take multiple high quality pics of one artifact from many angles, and MAYBE then we could see what you are seeing in the rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread