First Post: Are most of these just random rocks? Or are they something more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok guys, here's one we can all get behind I'm sure :)

A buddy of mine sent this to me.

Question: Broken arrowhead? or Effigy piece?

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 4.18.20 PM.png

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You coming after mah stones, huh? :tongue3:

North of you, Central Ohio.

If your in central Ohio you have to know what plows, harrows, discs, etc. do to rocks. Not to mention earth moving equipment and the like. Finding a fractured rock away from roads, buildings and so forth means little since all the land there has been settled since the late 1600's. Farmers used to collect piles of rocks from their fields and throw them in creeks to prevent washouts. Look what glaciers have done. Ohio was basically where the south encroaching glaciers ended and broken rocks from the Canadian Shield are present in farm fields. Rocks break, have for millennia.

Baribal

Jan 28, 2020
Germany
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the thing, I've spent well over 60 hours on the internet/doing research and have yet to come across a Rock with a similar notch. Not to be an *******, but I can't find the first picture, nor the first piece of literature that indicates that fracture is natural. I've spent hours searching.

And I'm sorry, I misspoke, I should have said "How do you explain the cut in the Rock"

Here are a couple of fractured stones I picked up, for reference:

View attachment 1806949

You've spent some time there. Yet there are billions and billions and billions of different rocks in this world.
There is no evidence on this rock(!), that someone has worked with it.
If It was a tool, what would be the purpose? What did people back then use it for in your opinion? In your video you've smashed it against another rock. What for?

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If your in central Ohio you have to know what plows, harrows, discs, etc. do to rocks. Not to mention earth moving equipment and the like. Finding a fractured rock away from roads, buildings and so forth means little since all the land there has been settled since the late 1600's. Farmers used to collect piles of rocks from their fields and throw them in creeks to prevent washouts. Look what glaciers have done. Ohio was basically where the south encroaching glaciers ended and broken rocks from the Canadian Shield are present in farm fields. Rocks break, have for millennia.

Good point.

Isn't anyone going to ask me where I'm finding all these stones?

You can ask. But I will not tell. The location was half the reason Professor dude was so animated...

I will say it appears these stones haven't seen the light of day in a long, long, long time.:icon_thumright:

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 4.31.06 PM.png

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point.

Isn't anyone going to ask me where I'm finding all these stones?

You can ask. But I will not tell. The location was half the reason Professor dude was so animated...

I will say it appears these stones haven't seen the light of day in a long, long, long time.:icon_thumright:

View attachment 1806958

So you are finding them in glacial till deposits in central Ohio and you can't figure out how in the world they could have gotten fractured and marked?

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I know your not, never thought you were, my comment is directed at anyone who calls or implies another member is a troll.

Please understand there are hundreds of years of artifact knowledge and experience here.. our artifact forum is the combination of 2 forums, one of which was shut down and their very knowledgeable members moved here, you may find another forum, but your not going to find a more experienced forum.

Let’s lighten this up! I’d like you all to know that I’ve been called a troll many times, usually in a very public place like a beach. The comments often are something to the effect of: “Mommy, look at that old troll with the metal detector!” :icon_thumleft:
dts

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calling or implying a member is a troll here violates our rules, what happens at the beach stays at the beach. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So you are finding them in glacial till deposits in central Ohio and you can't figure out how in the world they could have gotten fractured and marked?

Lol, that green rock has been cut. I mean look at it. Both sides are perfectly flat.

But seriously, this sidewinding hole that’s tapered from either side, that’s not natural, is it?

I mean come on guys, this has been worked, right?

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will not call this person a troll but why is this allowed by a "member" with no regard what so ever for the other members of whom he /she/it asked opinions? If this isn't trolling I don't know what is here. There is nothing educational about this post other than what not to post and how not to talk down to others.
Why is he still here?

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will not call this person a troll but why is this allowed by a "member" with no regard what so ever for the other members of whom he /she/it asked opinions? If this isn't trolling I don't know what is here. There is nothing educational about this post other than what not to post and how not to talk down to others.
Why is he still here?

Look, I'm sorry for the bullshit comment, my bad. But that corner has been cut.

Maybe I'm new to this, but from my point of view, if you can't show me where nature has produced something like this before, and can't provide any sort of rational explanation as to how it came to be, how in the world can you say without a doubt it is not man-made?????

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, that green rock has been cut. I mean look at it. Both sides are perfectly flat.

But seriously, this sidewinding hole that’s tapered from either side, that’s not natural, is it?

I mean come on guys, this has been worked, right?

No it is not worked, it is natural hole in natural stone.

Look at these, all natural holes.

hagstone.jpg

il_340x270.2244390259_2aac.jpg

As stated earlier there are easily over 700+ years of experience here, I have 40 years and there are many members here with far more experience than I have. Instead of arguing you could listen and learn.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you need to educate yourself on what techniques and technologies were available and what signs those techniques leave behind . Everything you have pointed out shows none of those signs . And for arguments sake lets say they were formed naturally, those items show no signs of being used. None of us have anything to gain by "proving you wrong". If anything we want you to go out and find real artifacts

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...But that corner has been cut...

The reason you can't find pictures is because everybody left them behind because they were rocks with natural fractures of which they found no reason to keep or to photograph. Not trying to be ugly. We are only trying to tell you the simple truth here.

Last edited:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tdog Replying After Much Contemplation

So... @ Indiana_acklac... I tried to stay out of this but I just can't help myself. Stone aged man repeats the processes of tool/weapon/adornment creation throughout the millennia with scientifically proven, recognizable, repeatable results. The same results are also the case with Mother Nature. If one can not learn to recognize man's intervention in lithic reduction, then the default as sure as "H E Double-Hockey-Sticks" ain't aliens doing it! It is up to YOU to bear the burden of proof and not the ones here who have centuries of collective experience in identifying authentic artifacts, recognizing modern fakes as well as tossing those geofacts that don't even make it to the lab. All of us are trying to help YOU. If YOU can not accept these facts and apply them, your arrogance and pride have supplanted common sense and have gotten the best of you. This is the best "scholarly" advice I can provide which you implied you needed--do not remain ignorant. Learn from this place.

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So... @ Indiana_acklac... I tried to stay out of this but I just can't help myself. Stone aged man repeats the processes of tool/weapon/adornment creation throughout the millennia with scientifically proven, recognizable, repeatable results. The same results are also the case with Mother Nature. If one can not learn to recognize man's intervention in lithic reduction, then the default as sure as "H E Double-Hockey-Sticks" ain't aliens doing it! It is up to YOU to bear the burden of proof and not the ones here who have centuries of collective experience in identifying authentic artifacts, recognizing modern fakes as well as tossing those geofacts that don't even make it to the lab. All of us are trying to help YOU. If YOU can not accept these facts and apply them, your arrogance and pride have supplanted common sense and have gotten the best of you. This is the best "scholarly" advice I can provide which you implied you needed--do not remain ignorant. Learn from this place.

Do you really, REALLY want me to go through my bookmarks and start posting a stream of documented artifacts that look damn-near identical to any number of the items I have?

I mean I can do it if you want...

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been conducting research basically non-stop for the past 3 weeks. I didn't just find these yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread