First post in a while- Complete shoe buckles, colonial relics.

Ridirtdigger

Greenie
Oct 28, 2014
South County, RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a while since I last posted on here. I had a pretty rough July detecting wise. Most of the sites I went to were absolutely pounded, the bugs were vicious and the temperatures have been brutal. Still I did score a nice early US Naval Cuff Button but other than that I did not get much, UNTIL the last day of July. Last October, myself and Jarrod (my hunting buddy) spent at least 3 hours searching through a huge patch of woods near his relatives house to find a few colonial cellar holes I thought were out there. That day ended in a total disaster as we did not find a single site and later discovered we had walked right past another one. In March of this year we went back into those woods and once again did not find a single site other than one marked on the 1868 map and that site was hit pretty hard. So finally with some better research I told Jarrod about a month ago that I was pretty sure I had located it. Sunday we finally got a chance to give it a go. It was a long hike in but our research was spot on and we :love10::love10:found a very small cellar hole. It was located in a valley with a towering cliff right close by to it. Must have been really cool looking back in the day. Almost right away I get a screaming signal, almost giving an overload signal. I was thinking it was gonna be surface junk but instead I shout out "complete shoe buckle". This thing is a beauty with a really cool designed frame and fully functioning tongue and chape. All of the pins move, it is 100% brass. This is my best shoe buckle I have found (out of three). A little while later after picking up a couple of buttons I get another high tone close to the cellar hole and I call Jarrod over thinking I have my first copper of the month. It wasn't a copper but it was another complete shoe buckle. This one has all the pieces but the tongue and chape were no longer connected to the frame as the pins must have snapped long ago. This buckle is interesting as it looks like it was subject to a repair job at some point. After that I picked up some more buttons and half to another designed shoe buckle frame. Jarrod ended the day with three buttons. We couldn't stay long he had to go to a family gathering but it was a great fun hunt and I hope the month of August is a much better month. IMG_7113.JPG IMG_7129.JPG IMG_7128.JPG IMG_7127.JPG IMG_7124.JPG IMG_7119.JPG IMG_7115.JPG IMG_7120.JPG IMG_7114.JPG IMG_7130.JPG

Upvote 16

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those be some sweet buckles, nice job and good luck in August

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful buckle finds! :occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great buckles!! With big high tones like that, I'm willing to bet there's much more there.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs on the completely intact, undamaged , shoe buckles . On me list . I recollect a farmer friend who has a dozen of them pretty birds , it's a peacock , he can be heard with a deafening sound ....usually at dawn and dusk . 8-)

dawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread