First post in a while, cool find the other day!

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that I'm settling in to the new job and it's nice and cool outside, I've had a little time to explore the woods near my house. Within about 15 minutes, I uncovered this 1959 Georgia license plate! It's actually in pretty good shape - I've scrubbed it with purple power and a toothbrush, and I can see all the numbers now. As a vintage gearhead, this thing really got my heart racing! Hadn't had that feeling in a while detecting!

I just finished restoring a 69 Ford F100, so this will have a place of honor on the front bumper.

Any other ideas for getting something like this clean? I want to be careful, as I think it's just mostly dirt with maybe a little rust.

Thanks for looking!
IMG_1562.jpg

Upvote 24

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find, congrats!
I'd try Barkeepers Friend with a brush, that stuff is amazing. It also removes disc brake discoloration from wheels like nothing else I've found.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I'm settling in to the new job and it's nice and cool outside, I've had a little time to explore the woods near my house. Within about 15 minutes, I uncovered this 1959 Georgia license plate! It's actually in pretty good shape - I've scrubbed it with purple power and a toothbrush, and I can see all the numbers now. As a vintage gearhead, this thing really got my heart racing! Hadn't had that feeling in a while detecting!

I just finished restoring a 69 Ford F100, so this will have a place of honor on the front bumper.

Any other ideas for getting something like this clean? I want to be careful, as I think it's just mostly dirt with maybe a little rust.

Thanks for looking! View attachment 2066452
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never dug one that was even readable, so that's a great find. Hope it cleans up good.:thumbsup:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for looking! View attachment 2066452
Very Cool , I can not recall the oldest GA Plate I have found but "Think" it was from the 50's or 60's .

Should be made of Aluminum but I could be wrong , I just scrub them with a stiff nylon brush or well worn brass brush . It will look good mounted of yr newly restored ride .

Good relics to be found near & in Stone Mountain (City & Park ) , If you ever wanna scout some woods hit me up , I'm in N Marietta, Woodstock , Acworth , Kennesaw.

P.S. If it's pitted it will only get so clean but I think you know that already .
Davey -----OUT!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions