Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,

I hope everyone had a pleasant winter. I had itchy fingers and feet and couldn't wait to get out, but time has been extremely limited, much like last year.

I was able to get out three times in January, but the temperature here in New York got too cold and the ground finally froze. Three notable coins I found in those outings were a 1914 Buffalo Nickel, a 1906 Indian head and a 1942 P Silver nickel. Nice to get a Buffalo, an Indian head and silver out of the way in the very first month of the year.

After that, like I said the ground was pretty much frozen. I did go out a few times at the end of March, but there was still about 4 " of ice in the ground. Did not find much, but did work on the callous on my palm, so got that out of the way for digging.

April has been much better though. So far I have been sticking to the park I hunted at most of last year. The one that several people told me was hunted out, that I kept finding Indian head, silver dimes, quarters and half dollars, Liberty and Buffalo nickels in. Well, I did something I haven't done in a long time. I found a ring. Nothing special, not even silver, but still a ring. Then a 1924 Buffalo. Then as if one ring wasn't enough, I found a really nice silver ring, with a light bluish stone (chipped) in it. I also found a several older wheat cents, but really, unless its at least a semi-key date, I don't even keep track of them. Then, I went out one night for only about 20 minutes, to another spot I sometimes hunt. As soon as I stepped out of the car, got a 1908 Barber Dime with full liberty on the head band. Then the next night, I went back to the park again, and got another 1914 Buffalo, a couple of more older wheat cents, and then a coin that made my heart almost stop. Right up at the base of a tree pops a Mercury dime. Only being about 1 1/2" I decided I rub the date to see how old and I saw 1916. So I flipped it over, and sure another there was something where the mint mark is on the back. So hoping for the best, and not wanting to scratch it, I stuck it back in my pouch and continued hunting. Found my third ring of the season, a few moments later (another silver ring). Being dark by now, I went home and decided to wash off the Mercury dime, but much to my dismay, it was an "S" mint mark. Guess I was being greedy, my dad had just given me a 1916 D for my birthday back in Oct.

Any, went out again tonight to my hunted out park. If someone tries to tell you some place is ever hunted out, make sure you hunt there. I was even starting to think that by now, I must have hunted out this park, but sure enough, right there in the middle, where I know I have worked because I found an 1864 Indian head and an 1880 Indian head both within 10 feet of where I was tonight (I was in the middle of where I found these two, one 10 feet to my right and one 10 feet to my left) and I got this really iffy signal that registered 6 1/2" deep. It was the lowest signal for an indian head I had ever gotten, registering only 53 and it would ring clear one sweep and discrimate it out a moment later. I decided to dig anyways, since Liberty nickels usually come through like this for me. Well, when I searched the hole it there was nothing in it anymore, so I got my pinpointer and sure enough, there is was, laying next to the hole, an 1866 Indian head. So, so far this year I am pretty happy. I beat my record last year of pre-1900 by 2 days, last year was an 1854 three cent piece,on 4-28. I also beat the first silver of the year, as I got that already in Jan.

I think this is going to be a good year for me, if I can just find the time to get out now.

Anyways, safe paths all.

Anthony

Upvote 0

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
DF, Welcome Back, And Congrats On The Great Finds. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 231
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 230

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DF....you already are having an incredible year. You'll have to take some pictures and show us what you've found so far.

Welcome back. :)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto Haupin! ;)

We missed you! Sounds like some awesome finds Anthony!

Glad you're back... :)

Nana ;)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! I wish it were that easy to get such amazing finds around here!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean it looks like it is going to be a good year. I thought you were done for the year with finds like that. WOW!! Congrats on the finds. HH Burdie

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great finds DF! Welcome back......sounds like your off to a good start.

Happy Hunting,
Moon

OP
OP
D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all. Its great to be back out doing what I love again. I really should move further south then upstate New York, somewhere where I can hunt year round. I promise, I will try to get some pics. But stayed tuned, this year is really shaping up to be a great year. I will post in a new thread. But I did something last night that I have not done in years. And I did it four times in about a 2 square foot area.

Anthony

S

southbound

WOW! Lot of great finds! Welcome back and congrats on so many cool finds.
Vern

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread