First real hunt with the 5x8 on the ATP

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today and swung the 5x8 for about 3 hours. Found my first .925 ring! The separation is awesome and the non existent weight of this coil makes it easy to swing without fatigue.
All in all, I'm pleased. Got clad (of course) and some small silver! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429993821.950414.jpg

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
once I put the 5x8 on my atp its never come off..dig that coil

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have the 5x8 and it never comes off

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine about 2 weeks before my Achilles tendon detached while running so I only got to use it twice. Can't wait to heal and get back in the hunt.

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine about 2 weeks before my Achilles tendon detached while running so I only got to use it twice. Can't wait to heal and get back in the hunt.

Sorry about that injury s.c., that is a damn shame. Hopefully you will be up and swinging in no time! Take this down time to do some heavy research on your hunting grounds...wishing you a very speedy recovery!!!

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So tell me, whats your depth like with this coil? I bought one when i purchased my AT Pro, but i didn't put it on there yet as im still learning the new machine, but i do have some trashy sites to use it on. I wonder how deep it goes (in real life experiences...) I'm really happy with the stock coil, partly why i have swapped it out yet!

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So tell me, whats your depth like with this coil? I bought one when i purchased my AT Pro, but i didn't put it on there yet as im still learning the new machine, but i do have some trashy sites to use it on. I wonder how deep it goes (in real life experiences...) I'm really happy with the stock coil, partly why i have swapped it out yet!

Hi Pa Digger!
I didn't swap the coil for depth, I swapped for weight and increased target separation. To your question;
First, I use Gray Ghost Amphibian headphones and I do dig the whisper tones that do not appear on the VDI. While using the 5x8 on the ATP, I have detected by "Tone only" down to about 14 inches and it was a 1963 Quarter.
Understanding that soil conditions are different, I am in Southern California and this was at a park with a non clay soil base.
As you know the VDI sows a max of 10", however, my experience changed when I upgraded headphones and started digging the whisper tones that became very clear but without a VDI readout.
I hope this helps! Good luck and HH!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I havent noticed any real depth loss withe 5x8.but damn is that thing light and accurate...you gotta try it out

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigfoot1- I was amazed and the weight difference from the stock coil and the Target Separation!!! It is an absolute must have in the arsenal of coils!
HH!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coil makes that whole machine. As you mentioned, the separation is awesome I can tell when there is a good signal with trash right beside it

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent noticed any real depth loss withe 5x8.but damn is that thing light and accurate...you gotta try it out

I agree. It should be the stock coil for the pro. I have used both coils equally and think I find more with small coil due to the separation. Can't see much difference in depth and I have tried both on same ground/same day. I think confidence has a lot to do with performance and I have that with small coil. Not to mention comfort

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very excited to get my email yesterday that mine will arrive on Tuesday. One comment that I have seen consistently that I didn't even take into account when purchasing was the difference in weight. I was interested in the separation and the ability to get into tighter spots. I'm very excited to feel the difference.

A question if I may? I feel extremely confident in my ability to speak "AT Pro stock coil". Throwing the 5x8 on, is it a different language or just a different dialect?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the same language with smaller words so to speak. The separation make it quieter in the trash because your not picking up as many multiple tones. you will love it

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very excited to get my email yesterday that mine will arrive on Tuesday. One comment that I have seen consistently that I didn't even take into account when purchasing was the difference in weight. I was interested in the separation and the ability to get into tighter spots. I'm very excited to feel the difference.

A question if I may? I feel extremely confident in my ability to speak "AT Pro stock coil". Throwing the 5x8 on, is it a different language or just a different dialect?

I used the stock coil for the first year detecting. I did a ton of reading on these forums which drove me to purchase the 5x8.
The language (Tones) are the same. What you experienced with the stock coil was a constant tone that would change pitch.
For example, let's say that you had the following:
Iron with a penny.
Stock coil would sound a constant low with an ending mid To high and your VDI showing 35-72 back and forth. It would make you think "trash" because of the bounce in the VDI, but overthink the ending mid tone with a VDI at 72.
With the 5x8 you would get 2 separate tones and 2 separate VDI's with a very distinct pause in between telling you there are 2 very separate targets.
The lighter weight gives you the ability (for me) to swing three times longer without fatigue in my shoulder or forearm.
5x8 is a winner in the hole! Congrats and HH!!
Tina

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is all great news to hear! Can't wait to give it a go! Thanks and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions