First Seated Liberty On The Way Back To The Canoe!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gives a whole new meaning to our favorite acronym OTWBTTC.

I had a very enjoyable weekend with the family in Central Wisconsin at the cabin. Perfect weather for the annual old car show for a change. Low 70s and partly cloudy.

Kids wanted to swim after the show at our lakes swimming area. Its a long waist deep peninsula where people are always enjoying the water. Took the Canoe and kayak across lake. Always bring the detector along hoping to score some jewelry. Still waiting for that to happen lol

Technically miss seated liberty was the very first target. I couldn't just pass up on the title line. Signal was a 21 to 22 on the nox. Jokingly I said "Are you ready for this big old class ring?"

Not having a scoop, I reached in with the pinpointer and grabbed handfuls of the gritty bottom until I grabbed the crusty coin. I thought I saw a wreath on the back but figured it may be a toasted Indian. I popped a little bit of the crust off but didn't see what it was at the time. In the pocket it went and I continued to detect for an hour or so.

Found the usual bullets and other bits. In all I only dug 16 targets. It wasn't till we got back and took another look at the coin that I saw a shield and knew it was a seated liberty dime. I couldn't believe it. It's my oldest silver and first seated. Also my first silver out of water too. I still can't believe where I found it. I've been coming to this spot for more than 20 years. I'd say detecting it here and there maybe 15 times?

I'm very excited about this one. Not sure if I want to clean it or leave it. Anyone have suggestions on how to clean it if I go that route? Here are some pictures of the coin and the rest of the finds.

Thanks for taking a look. Happy hunting everyone.

20220708_175136.jpg

20220708_175853.jpg

20220708_175830.jpg

Upvote 24

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a very enjoyable weekend with the family in Central Wisconsin at the cabin. Perfect weather for the annual old car show for a change. Low 70s and partly cloudy.

Kids wanted to swim after the show at our lakes swimming area. Its a long waist deep peninsula where people are always enjoying the water. Took the Canoe and kayak across lake. Always bring the detector along hoping to score some jewelry. Still waiting for that to happen lol

Technically miss seated liberty was the very first target. I couldn't just pass up on the title line. Signal was a 21 to 22 on the nox. Jokingly I said "Are you ready for this big old class ring?"

Not having a scoop, I reached in with the pinpointer and grabbed handfuls of the gritty bottom until I grabbed the crusty coin. I thought I saw a wreath on the back but figured it may be a toasted Indian. I popped a little bit of the crust off but didn't see what it was at the time. In the pocket it went and I continued to detect for an hour or so.

Found the usual bullets and other bits. In all I only dug 16 targets. It wasn't till we got back and took another look at the coin that I saw a shield and knew it was a seated liberty dime. I couldn't believe it. It's my oldest silver and first seated. Also my first silver out of water too. I still can't believe where I found it. I've been coming to this spot for more than 20 years. I'd say detecting it here and there maybe 15 times?

I'm very excited about this one. Not sure if I want to clean it or leave it. Anyone have suggestions on how to clean it if I go that route? Here are some pictures of the coin and the rest of the finds.

View attachment 2035978
View attachment 2035979
View attachment 2035980
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going . Hope you get another picture of the seated when you get it cleaned up a bit

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a crusty one!
Never dug or seen such a coin with a built up outer ring.
Looks like a Seated, but is it actually?
For cleaning, seen folks give them a little zap, there's baking soda, lemon and olive oil low heat soaking.
Very cool looking piece, congrats.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a crusty one!
Never dug or seen such a coin with a built up outer ring.
Looks like a Seated, but is it actually?
For cleaning, seen folks give them a little zap, there's baking soda, lemon and olive oil low heat soaking.
Very cool looking piece, congrats.
Thanks pepper. She is very crusty indeed but she is infact sat down. I took a high resolution pic so you can zoom in a bit. I did get a little of the date to show after I took the pics. There is the 18 and possibly a 7 after but too much crust still. I think I'll try soaking in lemon juice to see what happens.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2035978
View attachment 2035979
View attachment 2035980
great save and post, wtg. I have yet to find even one thing OTWBTTC :)

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, and good job on the hi-res picture! That crusty rim makes me wonder if it was mounted into some kind of ring to use as a pendant.
Thanks Radon. My new phone has a great camera that I'm still trying to figure out. Maybe it was a pendant well see what happens when I clean it. I found a 64 nickel and 65 quarter that are also crusty. Must be something on the lake bottom that does it to coins. I'm guessing it was lost by a farmer long ago.
great save and post, wtg. I have yet to find even one thing OTWBTTC :)
Thanks Hunkalead. Technically it was my first find of the day lol. Keep at it and it'll happen to you. Saved a few slow hunts with the last find of the day.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
For cleaning coins like that I take a small piece of aluminum foil and make it into a bowl shape. Add a couple drops of lemon juice and then pinch the foil closed around the coin. You will feel the heat build up as the electrolysis takes affect. Repeat until legible and then a baking soda gently scrub.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For cleaning coins like that I take a small piece of aluminum foil and make it into a bowl shape. Add a couple drops of lemon juice and then pinch the foil closed around the coin. You will feel the heat build up as the electrolysis takes affect. Repeat until legible and then a baking soda gently scrub.
That does work pretty good!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20220712_072103.jpg

20220712_072126.jpg

Well unfortunately it didn't clean up very good. The crust was thick. I used some lemon juice and water and let it sit for a little bit. It's either 1876 or 1846 really hard to tell at this point.

Attachments

• 20220712_072126.jpg
    20220712_072126.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rough shape but great find nonetheless- Congrats!!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an ugly coin, but nice score! I can't wait to find my first seated. Thanks for sharing!

Rough shape but great find nonetheless- Congrats!!

Yeah not the prettiest coin but I'm still happy. Thanks fellas. They are out there. Good finds come when you least expect it. That's why I love this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread