Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been waiting for the weather to cool down in the southwest desert to hit a spot I found last February. My 62nd birthday was on November 6th, so I decided to take a little birthday vacation. Fortunately, my girl went along with the idea. So we packed up the RV and headed out on the 4th to a spot along the Colorado River that I scoped out last winter.

It's a place where there had been considerable boating activity in the 40's, 50's and 60's, but a change in the river made it useless after that. When I was there in February, I found 4 silver Rosies, 23 wheats, an old gold wedding band and 2 silver rings. The place is gravely and rocky, so stuff gets beat up pretty bad, plus, the Co river has a nasty effect on metals for some reason. But, since it's very hard to find old coins around Reno, I'll take 'em any way I can!

The buffalo nickels are my first and second ever and a real kick to find! They were very crusty, so I soaked them in vinegar slush and peroxide and was actually able to date both!
birthday hunt5.jpeg

birthday hunt2.jpeg

The silvers were all very black, so I used foil and lemon juice on them.
The wheats are pretty crusty also, but I was able to read the dates on all of them. The heart charm is just copper. I found a few early (60's) clad dimes and quarters, but not very many. I did find about 150 pull tabs! :BangHead:
birthday hunt1.jpeg

birthday hunt4.jpeg

birthday hunt3.jpeg

Kinda strange how there were so many 1964's.

Anyways, it was beautiful 75-80 degree sunny weather and made for a really nice birthday.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Upvote 16

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been waiting for the weather to cool down in the southwest desert to hit a spot I found last February. My 62nd birthday was on November 6th, so I decided to take a little birthday vacation. Fortunately, my girl went along with the idea. So we packed up the RV and headed out on the 4th to a spot along the Colorado River that I scoped out last winter.

It's a place where there had been considerable boating activity in the 40's, 50's and 60's, but a change in the river made it useless after that. When I was there in February, I found 4 silver Rosies, 23 wheats, an old gold wedding band and 2 silver rings. The place is gravely and rocky, so stuff gets beat up pretty bad, plus, the Co river has a nasty effect on metals for some reason. But, since it's very hard to find old coins around Reno, I'll take 'em any way I can!

The buffalo nickels are my first and second ever and a real kick to find! They were very crusty, so I soaked them in vinegar slush and peroxide and was actually able to date both!
View attachment 1990485
View attachment 1990486

The silvers were all very black, so I used foil and lemon juice on them.
The wheats are pretty crusty also, but I was able to read the dates on all of them. The heart charm is just copper. I found a few early (60's) clad dimes and quarters, but not very many. I did find about 150 pull tabs! :BangHead:
View attachment 1990487
View attachment 1990488
View attachment 1990489
Kinda strange how there were so many 1964's.

Anyways, it was beautiful 75-80 degree sunny weather and made for a really nice birthday.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that '21 has an "S" mint mark, it's a pretty tough one to find. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that '21 has an "S" mint mark, it's a pretty tough one to find. :icon_thumleft:
I'll have to check that out, having never found a buff before I've never looked into them at all. Hopefully there's a mint mark, once I figure out where to look for it.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the way that you break down the years it’s such a great idea and we could also use some of that beautiful weather up here
Take Care
Thanks Bill, it really helps me get a clear picture of the time frame I'm looking at after hunting a new spot.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Birthday, and congrats on your first two Buffalo Nickels and the rest of your coins. I really like the way you put your coins onto the "year chart". It makes it a lot easier on the eyes to see the coin without having to blow the pic up to see the year. That is a great idea.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be below the Five Cents on the reverse. Even the '26 has a slight premium if it has a mint mark.
I'll have to check that out, having never found a buff before I've never looked into them at all. Hopefully there's a mint mark, once I figure out where to look for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions