First SLQ and two large cents in one hole

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend I got my machine out for the first time of the season to attempt to find a watch for a relative. She thought she had dropped it along her sidewalk, me and my dad searched for three or four hours with no success, at least no watch. I did find two Indians, a buffalo nickel, a handful of wheat pennies, a silver Roosevelt dime, a barber dime, a smashed silver ring and a president taft token.

That brought back the itch to dig. Monday we went to an old property that a friend of my dad just bought. The yard had been leveled with fill dirt at some point I was getting energy drink cans 6" deep. I thought the day was going to be a bust until I got a 30 signal beside the old spring and popped out an 1825 large cent that looks like it was a whizzer at some point. It was pretty rough, but was the first coin in about two hours that was older than me. It is the oldest I have found with a legible (barely) date. I rechecked the hole and got a 26 signal, thought I had a seated dime, but it was another large cent. It's a 38 or 39, I couldn't make out the last digit. Then after about two more very slow hours within a detectors length of the road I got a 24 signal, I thought probably a memorial penny since that's about all I had been finding the last two hours. I carelessly cut a plug and saw the scratched back of my first standing liberty quarter. : P I have no idea why it rang in so low, I rechecked the hole and found nothing else. It was pretty pocket worn already so I didn't feel too bad. It felt good checking that one off the list. 4-5 hours digging that day and only two good holes made it feel like a successful hunt.

Attachments

• 20220704_132618.jpg
    20220704_132618.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 139
  • 20220704_132628.jpg
    20220704_132628.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20220704_121526.jpg
    20220704_121526.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220704_120903.jpg
    20220704_120903.jpg
    762.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220625_063806.jpg
    20220625_063806.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 32

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last weekend I got my machine out for the first time of the season to attempt to find a watch for a relative. She thought she had dropped it along her sidewalk, me and my dad searched for three or four hours with no success, at least no watch. I did find two Indians, a buffalo nickel, a handful of wheat pennies, a silver Roosevelt dime, a barber dime, a smashed silver ring and a president taft token.

That brought back the itch to dig. Monday we went to an old property that a friend of my dad just bought. The yard had been leveled with fill dirt at some point I was getting energy drink cans 6" deep. I thought the day was going to be a bust until I got a 30 signal beside the old spring and popped out an 1825 large cent that looks like it was a whizzer at some point. It was pretty rough, but was the first coin in about two hours that was older than me. It is the oldest I have found with a legible (barely) date. I rechecked the hole and got a 26 signal, thought I had a seated dime, but it was another large cent. It's a 38 or 39, I couldn't make out the last digit. Then after about two more very slow hours within a detectors length of the road I got a 24 signal, I thought probably a memorial penny since that's about all I had been finding the last two hours. I carelessly cut a plug and saw the scratched back of my first standing liberty quarter. : P I have no idea why it rang in so low, I rechecked the hole and found nothing else. It was pretty pocket worn already so I didn't feel too bad. It felt good checking that one off the list. 4-5 hours digging that day and only two good holes made it feel like a successful hunt.
Very nice finds. It almost looks like one of the largies was trying to be a button

OP
OP
M

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, yeah it could have been a button too. I was calling it a whizzer just because of how it was holed. At least they knocked that awful nose off. :laughing7:

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would see if you could find out where the fill dirt came from and try to detect there where it was sitting, there could be more coins in the fill?

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Love the ring.

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What an odd date range for a spill…would love to know the backstory to this one. Cool finds

OP
OP
M

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would see if you could find out where the fill dirt came from and try to detect there where it was sitting, there could be more coins in the fill?
I'd rather dig what's under the fill dirt. : ) There is an 1800's house on this lot, just most of the good stuff is likely over a foot deep under the fill. I didn't get a single wheat penny from this yard or Indian, I think I only got 3 copper pennies, the rest were all zinc. You can see a very clear cut in the yard where it was dozed off to level out the hill. Lots of the yard has a good amount of gravel like highway fill maybe. I got a few old trinkets by the spring and almost nothing else over maybe 30 years old. The property is something over 300 acres, I'm sure there are other good finds to be had there, but the close to the house items are likely gone forever.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

great saves all around! love that silver and your SLQ is gorgeous, they rarely come out of the ground that nice, well done indeed

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats for all those great finds! As a long-time SLQ collector and hunter, I always look forward to seeing them posted- yours has a quite a bit of detail remaining- looks like it could be a 1920???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread