First time GPS user in need of some assistance please

MERCURY & THE SUN

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter Deep Seeking VLF Metal Detector, L-rod, Pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I bought a used Magellan Explorist 200 and have to input the coordinates manually and have run into some issues in doing so. First off I use GPS Geoplaner online for my map program to get the coordinates to which I then input into the Explorist but it's not working out like I had expected:

Lets say for example that I have gotten the coordinates 33.62001°N - 112.16051°E from Geoplaner and then go to input them into the Explorist.

The Explorist format is constructed differently for example 33° 23.99 N 112° 29.630 W

If you compare the above format with the below they are not the same and this has left me bewildered and I have no clue on how to interpret that difference.

ALSO on the Explorist I noticed that lets say I need to input a 6 where the bold numbers are it will NOT go past 5 and then it just returns to 0: 33° 23.99 N 112° 29.630 W

If I mark a spot that I did not input it accepts a number larger than 5 but if I go to manually input the coordinates like I explained it will go up to 5 and then just restarts again at zero.

I appreciate any help I can get on this one and hope I have explained it well enough for someone with more experience to understand.

Scott_B

Jan 20, 2007
Hi, I am by no means an expert on GPS, I'm sure somebody else will provide more detailed information. There are 3 common types of GPS coordinate formats. Your GPS might have a setting to be able to display the coordinates that is the same as GPS Geoplaner. Or you could go to a GPS coordinate converter website to convert it to the format that you need.
https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/lat_lon/formats
GPS Latitude and Longitude Converter

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No need to convert just set your GPS to use Lat/Lon in decimal degrees. On many GPS units that's just selecting the ddd format but on your explorist it may be different. It will tell you how in the manual you got with the GPS unit.

Heres an example from Magellan
:

If you select LAT/LON, you will be asked to select one of three
formats for displaying position coordinates: DEG/MIN.00, DEG/
MIN.000 or DEG/MIN/SEC. If you choose one of the first two
options, the display is in decimal format, while the third option is
based on 60 seconds in a minute.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MERCURY & THE SUN

MERCURY & THE SUN

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter Deep Seeking VLF Metal Detector, L-rod, Pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK then I am going to get to learning; thank you so much for your input the both of you it is HIGHLY APPRECIATED :icon_biggrin:

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK then I am going to get to learning; thank you so much for your input the both of you it is HIGHLY APPRECIATED :icon_biggrin:
There may be some good information about your question and Demo. on U tube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread