Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's been a long hot dry summer here in Southern Ontario, most weekends when it was +30c I chose to do chores around the house. :thumbsup:This week it rained and the temperatures have finally cooled down, so Sunday and Monday I headed to an old homesite in the south end of my town. There were homes located in this area as early as 1830, they were close to the shore of Lake Ontario where my town was first settled. These homes were removed in the 1950s to make room for a public.

Nothing too interesting as far as the finds go. I did find an 1864 Indian Head Penny, a 'Tombac' one-piece flat-button, a couple of pennies from the 1940s, a Volkswagen Van body and an iron horse buckle. Now I'm just waiting for the crops to come off the fields on a couple of my older permissions, looking forward to getting back out there this fall.

Hope everyone had a great long weekend,
Dave

20220904_115813.jpg
20220905_131103.jpg
20220905_133610.jpg
20220905_133648.jpg

Upvote 23

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a long hot dry summer here in Southern Ontario, most weekends when it was +30c I chose to do chores around the house. :thumbsup:This week it rained and the temperatures have finally cooled down, so Sunday and Monday I headed to an old homesite in the south end of my town. There were homes located in this area as early as 1830, they were close to the shore of Lake Ontario where my town was first settled. These homes were removed in the 1950s to make room for a public.

Nothing too interesting as far as the finds go. I did find an 1864 Indian Head Penny, a 'Tombac' one-piece flat-button, a couple of pennies from the 1940s, a Volkswagen Van body and an iron horse buckle. Now I'm just waiting for the crops to come off the fields on a couple of my older permissions, looking forward to getting back out there this fall.

Dave

View attachment 2045399 View attachment 2045400 View attachment 2045401 View attachment 2045402 .
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dave

View attachment 2045399 View attachment 2045400 View attachment 2045401 View attachment 2045402 .
Very Nice Congratulations on your recoveries

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a fun day and a few interesting finds! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Glad you were able to get out! I didn’t do any digging over the summer either. Knew the ground would be too hard. This weekend is about baseball. The weekend will include some digging though.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a similar weather situation to us.
Glad you can get back out again, good luck.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice Congratulations on your recoveries
Thanks Bill, hope you're doing well,
Dave

Looks like you had a fun day and a few interesting finds! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Arfie. It was hot and dry, but it was great to be out again. :thumbsup:

Well done !
Thank you Sir. :wave:

Glad you were able to get out! I didn’t do any digging over the summer either. Knew the ground would be too hard. This weekend is about baseball. The weekend will include some digging though.
Thanks Dallas, happy to hear you and your detector are going to be spending some 'quality time' together this weekend. :laughing7: Best of luck to you in finding a Vickie LC this weekend!

Sounds like a similar weather situation to us.
Glad you can get back out again, good luck.
Thanks for your post Cru, hope things have cooled down for you in the UK.
My condolences to you and your Dad on the recent loss of your Queen, she will be deeply missed here in Canada as well. :sadsmiley: She made 22 visits to Canada over the years.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did a lot of digging. NICE GOING !!!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Dave. I can’t imagine Indian Head pennies are too common where you are. Most people probably hope for a key date from the 1870s, but I really like Civil War era dates like yours. Congrats on all the finds. Nice to see a post from you. Good luck out there…. Steve

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you did a lot of digging. NICE GOING !!!
Thanks for your post Gare, hope you're keeping cool in Ohio.
Dave

Glad to see you're able to get out again Dave!
Thanks buddy, I'm looking forward to the fall and some cooler weather though.
It must be stinky hot in Nevada. πŸ˜“

Hey Dave. I can’t imagine Indian Head pennies are too common where you are. Most people probably hope for a key date from the 1870s, but I really like Civil War era dates like yours. Congrats on all the finds. Nice to see a post from you. Good luck out there…. Steve
Hi Steve :wave:
As I'm sure most can appreciate, as I'm getting older and fatter, the heat takes a lot more out of me now that I'm in my late-50s. Last fall, I lost permission to 10 sites farmed by two brothers, due to strangers trespassing on one of their properties. I'm hoping to secure a new permission this fall for three more sites, I'm just working up the courage to talk to the farmer. :laughing7:
Hope you're doing well these days,
Dave

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Dave

As I'm sure most can appreciate, as I'm getting older and fatter, the heat takes a lot more out of me now that I'm in my late-50s. Last fall, I lost permission to 10 sites farmed by two brothers, due to strangers trespassing on one of their properties. I'm hoping to secure a new permission this fall for three more sites, I'm just working up the courage to talk to the farmer. :laughing7:
Dave
Extremely unfortunate Dave. Too bad because taking it away from you will do nothing to deter trespassing and logically, it would be better for them to have another set of eyes out there πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ. Good luck getting the next permission you seek.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Extremely unfortunate Dave. Too bad because taking it away from you will do nothing to deter trespassing and logically, it would be better for them to have another set of eyes out there πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ. Good luck getting the next permission you seek.

I completely agree with you Dallas. Lets also not forget the hundreds of pounds of scrap iron I removed from these fields so the brothers combines and seeding equipment wouldn't get damaged. This was all because of a half dozen men from Markham who decided to fly their kites in the farmers field without permission. One of the neighbours called the farmer to let him know, so this is obviously what prompted him give me the 'bum's rush'. :icon_scratch:

As of last fall, at least 3 of the 10 sites were still producing at an amazing rate, as you can tell I'm still extremely upset about this happening. These are all sites that are slated for residential development in the next 3 - 5 years too. :sadsmiley:

Here are a few pics of 5 of the sites I lost permission to hunt.
Dave

20210424_203751_resized.jpg

20210509_140828.jpg

20210516_113939.jpg

20210606_095615_resized.jpg

20210713_115003.jpg

20210611_114347.jpg

Last edited:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave

Dave
Sorry about the lost permission; they look like beautiful sites. Good luck with the future requests. I have to work up the nerve to door knock again too, as my spots are running out. Glad the summer heat is moving on, as I am of similar age and condition. The shorter days are a bummer though. Good luck out there. Steve

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry about the lost permission; they look like beautiful sites. Good luck with the future requests. I have to work up the nerve to door knock again too, as my spots are running out. Glad the summer heat is moving on, as I am of similar age and condition. The shorter days are a bummer though. Good luck out there. Steve
Good morning Steve. :wave:

Thanks for your post, if anything this should inspire me to take the opportunity to find new sites.
I tend to get complacent detecting the same sites year after year, so this may actually be a blessing in disguise.

Best of luck to you out there my friend,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread