First time out with the Equinox 800 and my heart almost stopped!!!

Brewdawg

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2020
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been detecting for about a year and a half. I cut my teeth on a whites DFX, a great machine that has provided me with many many hours of fun. But after seeing everyone post awesome finds with their Equinoxs’, I decided to bite the bullet and get one myself. I downloaded the newest update as soon as it arrived last Thursday. I recently scored a new permission at site in my hometown in northeast Georgia. My mom and I hit it early Saturday morning (she too has an equinox 800). The land owner came out and showed us a pristine 1899 barber dime he had found in the front yard and told us that his friend had found an 1827 large cent in the same area. That got us really pumped! Things started out slow, only two wheat cents in the first hour. I was running park 2, iron descrimination, recovery speed settings of FE zero and F2. My mom was next to strike with her first ever silver coin, a 1949 Roosevelt dime, we were so excited! 15mins later, I had a slamming 34 signal 8 inches down just off the driveway. Of course the signal was directly underneath a three inch wide root. I nearly gave up on it (I suspected it was just a beer can or a large piece of iron). Thank goodness I didn’t!!! I couldn’t believe what I was looking at once it came out of the hole!!! I never put a Morgan silver dollar on my bucket list, as I never thought I would be digging in a place what would be hiding one! That just goes to show you never know what’s there until you dig! At the end of the day, I ended up with a handful of clad coins, 5 wheat pennies, a slicked 188? Indian head penny (my oldest coin), a 1936 quarter, and the 1889 Morgan silver dollar. I had no idea Morgans were so big! Keep digging and happy hunting!!!

689AEDCB-19F1-484A-A090-30578035C2FE.jpeg
1B5EEB3C-29CF-4E89-90B1-EE4CE1374E02.jpeg
4BE931C0-6E3D-4C91-89EC-3609B26DF894.jpeg
D5B42ECF-43F3-426E-9924-B9F182EB889C.jpeg 5D63535B-C830-4016-95AB-CB1C5AE1F1C0.jpeg
3F936F7C-4335-4119-81D3-4065DE6ED10F.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 79
OP
OP
B

Brewdawg

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2020
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your opinion is the Equinox better machine than the DFX ? Let me know and good finds !

Diggit, thanks so much! It's hard for me to say which is the better machine at the moment as I have only used the Nox on one hunt and at a location I have never searched before (although I have my suspicions). I'll have a better idea after I swing the Nox over some ground I've already hit really hard with the DFX.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one sensational find! In my experience the best signals are ALWAYS directly underneath a massive root ( or an underground wasp nest...yikes!) Congrats on a very special coin.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great purchase and great find- Congrats to you both!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC FIND How do i vote BANNER ?

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silvers and wheaties.... :thumbsup:

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morgan Silver Dollar=:occasion14:
Nice Job!! I know that got the ticker ticking.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the huge Silver and other nice finds !

TommNJ

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Congratulations, welcome to the silver dollar club :goldtrophy:
I've been fortunate to dig three, one in a coin spill with 13 other old coins, one was pretty beat up from a ghost town dump, the other was super deep and also found with an EQX800 in an old long forgotten rail road depot in the middle of BFE. Great fun and they are large :headbang:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a BRAND new machine you probably dug it because you did not know the machine. Had you had the DFX you think it was A can and skipped digging it.. I am pretty sure the dfx would have hit it. Do this Take both machines out in your yard and air test them both at the depth you think you got it. Then come back and tell us please.
ALso I want to WELCOME you to the FORUM :) WELCOME

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread