First time this has EVER HAPPENED to me in over 50 years of Detecting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a park camp ground with my horses . We were camping and i decided to test out my Deus 2 with the 9 inch coil running version .071 . I was running the XY program. I got ther bar line in the proper areas. I looked in the top left and seen the 92 to 93 id numbers. I got down with my hand Digger and cut about a 8 inch plug about 6 inches deep. I then took my pinpointer and stuck it in the hole NOTHING Then i checked the plug nothing . I then took my Detector and swung it over the hole ,NOITHING then i swung it over the plug and nothing. It just VANISHED !!!!This had NEVER happened to me in this manner. I cut layers of the plug and still nothing. I have had badly rusted items before become broken up but never nothing this this . A COMPLETE VANISH. I then took a dime out of my pocket and and laid it on the ground. i got almost the same signal as i first got the first time scanning the ground. Before i tell you what happend have an y of you had anything like this happen to them ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was at a park camp ground with my horses . We were camping and i decided to test out my Deus 2 with the 9 inch coil running version .071 . I was running the XY program. I got ther bar line in the proper areas. I looked in the top left and seen the 92 to 93 id numbers. I got down with my hand Digger and cut about a 8 inch plug about 6 inches deep. I then took my pinpointer and stuck it in the hole NOTHING Then i checked the plug nothing . I then took my Detector and swung it over the hole ,NOITHING then i swung it over the plug and nothing. It just VANISHED !!!!This had NEVER happened to me in this manner. I cut layers of the plug and still nothing. I have had badly rusted items before become broken up but never nothing this this . A COMPLETE VANISH. I then took a dime out of my pocket and and laid it on the ground. i got almost the same signal as i first got the first time scanning the ground. Before i tell you what happend have an y of you had anything like this happen to them ?
It could of been just out of reach of the PP, and you broke the halo. Have happened many times, dig a little deeper and bingo.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tree root?

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this happen but resolved my issue in my case. A few times my shovel tip caught something like a pull tab and as u pulled the shovel out it drops and flings off away a bit. So perhaps something like that?

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok after putting all my plug back in place i picked up my Lesche type digger (NOKTA) and stuck on the back side of the blade was a dime. It was a 1964 SILVER DIME . I was only out for maybe 15 or 20 minutes because it was to hot to do anything else. I got a Dime, Nickle and a Penny . I have NEVER had this happen to me !!1 GREAT JOB GODEEP !!!

IMG-5283.jpg
IMG-5284.jpg
IMG-5285.jpg

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was my suggestion as well as had a coin in clay stick to mine.. Rare and make you think you are nuts.
TnMountains you are SO CORRECT ~~~

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once painted an aluminum beach sand scoop with silicon embedded epoxy paint made for aluminum hulled boats like air boats. Makes them super slick like "duck poop on a wet dock".
It helped to shed the sand by taking the grabbiness out of the aluminum.

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
You have already mentionned what happened, however, I have a diferent experience, sometime a nail generate on the soil a layer of oxide, circle shape, when I dug that layer disapear and my metal detector discriminate the nails, so signal and ID disapear, PP could find it

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could of been just out of reach of the PP, and you broke the halo. Have happened many times, dig a little deeper and bingo.
You forgot to read where i TOOK THE Detector back over the spot and NO SIGNAL !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the initial question I have had it happen a few times. Once it was a pull tab I flung a foot or so away, once was (whatever it was) stuck to the digger, third time, an item on its side the pinpointer couldn't see. I dug a little more and there it was.

Tjay014

Apr 2, 2021
Jenison, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett GTA1000, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had similar experience years ago. The coin was stuck in the dirt on the shovel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread