Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the ball fields where I found the George 2 last week. I had a plan for where I was going to detect, but when I got there they had reseeded the grass on a large portion of my planned area so I had to come up with a plan B. I worked an area close to where I found the copper and then moved on to an area by another field hopping for the best. I am gridding small sections digging all mid and high tones and then walking around until I get to a promising section, then I grid again. I did a quick grid of most of the fields and spectator areas about 8 years ago. I’m going slower looking for deeper missed items from the first go round and newer losses.

All together a decent hunt, but not as good as I was hoping for. I found 64 coins with a face value of $6.53, a toy truck, a cute little knife, a copper rivet, a button, a Super Skate pedant, bunches of can slaw and tabs.

EB3F60C0-1467-47BD-8AA3-D11E7D3B7545.jpeg

I was able to get within about 30 feet of the spot I found the copper in and that’s where the tombac was. It was a nice mid tone that I was sure was another tab. A nice surprise with the shank up when I recovered it.

7AA54FEF-979C-4DFD-8F80-67F4218E027A.jpeg

51DCA028-FF8A-4A89-9B8E-20E9AEF59154.jpeg

BE901B5B-9B4D-4BBA-B6B3-69D3C942018D.jpeg

I took my weekly trip to the scout camp. It was rainy and cold, the good targets were few and far between and unfortunately there was a lot of junk is this section of camp. I swung the CZ21 for 5.5 hours and ended up with 66 coins with a face value of $4.79 (a very poor showing for the scout camp), 49 camp tent pegs, 5 rope tensioners, a personal tent pole pin, 2 eagle tokens, 3 sinkers, a cash coin, a reader’s digest coin, a bead, a cloud charm, a Cedar Point token, a cheapie carabiner, some tabs and a bunch of melted aluminum.

45617E28-1EA4-45D1-A707-827725503128.jpeg

It was not a very good hunt compared to all the other trips to camp, but I did find 2 very interesting things. A Chinese cash coin and a reader’s digest $5 million grand prize token. I’m not sure what year it is from, but they sent out thousands of these reader’s digest tokens. This is the first one I’ve ever seen. They were originally gold colored. I guess the ground ate the gold coloring off. The cash coin was probably lost by a scout, but it could have come from the old farm that was here first. It looks like an emperor Jen Tsung 1796-1820.

3DDD2C21-E6E6-4AB3-BB40-27255FCD8BB0.jpeg

30662FD0-EC5A-451E-8633-9906D305A1BB.jpeg

So a couple more hunts in with gas money, a first for me, fresh air exercise and fun stuff out of the ground. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck, and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 11

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the ball fields where I found the George 2 last week. I had a plan for where I was going to detect, but when I got there they had reseeded the grass on a large portion of my planned area so I had to come up with a plan B. I worked an area close to where I found the copper and then moved on to an area by another field hopping for the best. I am gridding small sections digging all mid and high tones and then walking around until I get to a promising section, then I grid again. I did a quick grid of most of the fields and spectator areas about 8 years ago. I’m going slower looking for deeper missed items from the first go round and newer losses.

All together a decent hunt, but not as good as I was hoping for. I found 64 coins with a face value of $6.53, a toy truck, a cute little knife, a copper rivet, a button, a Super Skate pedant, bunches of can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 1987668

I was able to get within about 30 feet of the spot I found the copper in and that’s where the tombac was. It was a nice mid tone that I was sure was another tab. A nice surprise with the shank up when I recovered it.

View attachment 1987670
View attachment 1987669
View attachment 1987667

I took my weekly trip to the scout camp. It was rainy and cold, the good targets were few and far between and unfortunately there was a lot of junk is this section of camp. I swung the CZ21 for 5.5 hours and ended up with 66 coins with a face value of $4.79 (a very poor showing for the scout camp), 49 camp tent pegs, 5 rope tensioners, a personal tent pole pin, 2 eagle tokens, 3 sinkers, a cash coin, a reader’s digest coin, a bead, a cloud charm, a Cedar Point token, a cheapie carabiner, some tabs and a bunch of melted aluminum.

View attachment 1987671

It was not a very good hunt compared to all the other trips to camp, but I did find 2 very interesting things. A Chinese cash coin and a reader’s digest $5 million grand prize token. I’m not sure what year it is from, but they sent out thousands of these reader’s digest tokens. This is the first one I’ve ever seen. They were originally gold colored. I guess the ground ate the gold coloring off. The cash coin was probably lost by a scout, but it could have come from the old farm that was here first. It looks like an emperor Jen Tsung 1796-1820.

View attachment 1987672

View attachment 1987673

So a couple more hunts in with gas money, a first for me, fresh air exercise and fun stuff out of the ground. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck, and may your coil lead you to good things.
Nice Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the Tombac shows there is a deeper history to focus on or follow the breadcrumbs...

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1987668

View attachment 1987670
View attachment 1987669
View attachment 1987667

View attachment 1987671

View attachment 1987672

View attachment 1987673

Great stuff...! :icon_thumright:
Finding that Chinese coin, too, is special, as the guy who lost it, may have had great meaning to it - a memory of his homeland ....

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1987668

View attachment 1987670
View attachment 1987669
View attachment 1987667

View attachment 1987671

View attachment 1987672

View attachment 1987673

Nice recoveries well Done

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There’s something about tombac buttons I really enjoy. Nice find, and I’ll go back to nursing my tombac OCD.

aj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread