First US Half Cent -hiding underfoot.

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can not begin to stress the truth in the statement- ā€œnever hunted outā€.
I though I had cleaned out the nearly 1 acre yard that has been in the family for 4 generations. It sits about 1,000 feet off of the Delaware River here in Bucks County PA. While learning how to detect- I had countless first finds here including my first colonial copper, British copper, indian, merc, tombac button etc.
The last few years have been very quiet there with little more than trash. With my insane work schedule, and a 5 year old- I have been out detecting twice in the last year and a half.
With a few hours to spare today- I hit my yard as I have hundreds of times before. The second hole I dug was in a spot my coil must have passed over several dozen times. This time I heard a faint, fast, dirty squeak.
Not more than 45ā€™ from my back door- 8ā€ down was an 1834 Half Cent. Right where the old well was; and right where I have found other old coins posted here in years past.
Not in the best of shape but easily identifiable.
Iā€™ll never cease to be amazed by this hobby. ā€¦never hunted out.

Attachments

• 529F9A52-78A8-4919-AF08-A8848C5D4CAF.jpeg
    529F9A52-78A8-4919-AF08-A8848C5D4CAF.jpeg
    679.4 KB · Views: 267
Upvote 40

Bibliophage

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2021
Thank you for the advice. When something equally lovely happens to me it will be because I remembered your story and tried again.

Mike D.

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2022
I though I had cleaned out the nearly 1 acre yard that has been in the family for 4 generations. It sits about 1,000 feet off of the Delaware River here in Bucks County PA. While learning how to detect- I had countless first finds here including my first colonial copper, British copper, indian, merc, tombac button etc.
The last few years have been very quiet there with little more than trash. With my insane work schedule, and a 5 year old- I have been out detecting twice in the last year and a half.
With a few hours to spare today- I hit my yard as I have hundreds of times before. The second hole I dug was in a spot my coil must have passed over several dozen times. This time I heard a faint, fast, dirty squeak.
Not more than 45ā€™ from my back door- 8ā€ down was an 1834 Half Cent. Right where the old well was; and right where I have found other old coins posted here in years past.

Mike D.

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2022
Iā€™ve been hunting Bucks County solo for about 3 years
ive been hunting Bucks County solo for about 3 years. Do you know of any local clubs or folks looking for hunting partners?

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find on my bucket list for sure

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes always something left behind

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread