Fisher CZ-20/21 vs. Minelab Sovereign GT

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Gt is a VERY hard machine to beat for depth and stability!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since you stated not in the water, the Sov GT is the better choice due to the ability to change coils.

One thing the CZ20/21 has as an advantage, is that you can rinse off the entire unit once you are done whereas you have to cover up the control box on the GT ( yes, even if it's not raining or you aren't in the water....sand, salt air and sea spray will get on the control box and you want to protect it as best you can when in the salt water environment).

OP
OP
tiggar

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thanks, Bart, "Sandman", Dan, & "therover", all excellent replies & well taken info....

"tiggar"

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Since with the SOV GT, you can change to a WOT coil for beach hunting it stomps the pee out of the CZ-20-21.
I've used both.
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/sovereign-gt :read2:

Is this true for the black sand beaches of Oregon? Seems as if little besides a PI will work on Oregon beaches, yet I have heard the CZ 20/21 fares relatively well. I had little success nor was I happy with the GT in my neck of the woods. I believe others concur.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
dbsmokey said:
Sandman said:
Since with the SOV GT, you can change to a WOT coil for beach hunting it stomps the pee out of the CZ-20-21.
I've used both.
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/sovereign-gt :read2:

Is this true for the black sand beaches of Oregon? Seems as if little besides a PI will work. I had little success nor was I happy with the GT in my neck of the woods. I believe others concur.
Yes there are places the Sovereign will not work............ I know i have been useing them since they come out................

Razr

Oct 4, 2008
Oregon Dunes
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark, Whites TDI,T2 SE, Tesoro Cortez.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had them both and i preferred the gt, i like the color better,lol. Gt had a meter and extra coils , so it would be hard to beat.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the same trouble with Sovereigns on our Oregon beaches, they losing 1-2" depth there and inland too, plus they had really bad problems cancelling/distinguishing pulltabs, often calling them "iron". Our soil is just plain too nasty for many detectors, and especially so with most Garretts, Minelabs, Nautiluses, and high-end/high-gain Tesoros too. I felt sorry for one woman who was using a Cortez, it only got 3-4" inland while my cz was getting roughly 6" average. Whites, Teknetics, old Compasses, and Fishers do the best here overall, especially on our high magnetie/salt beaches. They had their design roots here, that's why.

I have found that the only VLF's that work reasonably well on Oregon beaches are the cz's. Whites PI's do even better. Whites MXT's though seem to LOVE pulltabs there!

LL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread