Fisher F-Pulse important finding

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone, i just bought a F-Pulse and want to share some important findings.

Alkaline AA (Panasonic Platinum Power)= Sens-3, works perfect.

Lithium AA (Energizer Lithium Ultimate) = Sens-3, noisy on everything even holding in mid air.

Hope this helps someone because i've been reading about people thinking there pointer is broken.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I checked some of the unloaded voltage values of the Energizer Lithium on my test bench and all were 1.7 volts. Although a bit high, this shouldn't cause much, if any trouble. Interesting problem, I will have to look into the chemistry of the two battery types when time permits. :dontknow:

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't take this as a slam against Fisher. I have a F5 and a T2 that I just love.I was going to buy a Tech point when it first came out but it looked like there was some start up problems. Now I read this post and it looks like it is temperamental to batteries. I have a Whites TRX that works fine with any battery I put in it. Looks like Fisher still doesn't have it right. Not a slam just a oplnion.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Voltage and discharge rate, between the 2 types of batteries would be my guess as the lithium's may have a higher discharge rate along with the voltage being higher....

alot of electronics dont recommend lithium's.....

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulse induction is not voltage regulated like a VLF.
The more voltage put into PI the stronger transmit signal.
I would like to see the results of an air test, using alkaline at sens 3 and lithium at sens 2.
With the extra voltage, you might be getting the same depth with lower setting and lithium.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something I hadn't heard of before. Interesting.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tek-point/F-pulse transmitter is driven from a step-up regulator, not directly from the battery. So running a higher voltage won't help.

That very step-up regulator has a problem when driven with more than about 3.4V, and causes falsing. So it works fine with alkalines but not lithiums.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
The Tek-point/F-pulse transmitter is driven from a step-up regulator, not directly from the battery. So running a higher voltage won't help.

That very step-up regulator has a problem when driven with more than about 3.4V, and causes falsing. So it works fine with alkalines but not lithiums.

Wouldn't a last stage ballast resistor have rectified this?

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello everyone, i just bought a F-Pulse and want to share some important findings.

Alkaline AA (Panasonic Platinum Power)= Sens-3, works perfect.

Lithium AA (Energizer Lithium Ultimate) = Sens-3, noisy on everything even holding in mid air.

Hope this helps someone because i've been reading about people thinking there pointer is broken.

I just sent my second F-Pulse in for repair/replacement and they can keep it as far as I care. [Nothing to do w batteries.] The first died after a month, would not turn-off. The second started doing the same thing, not able to turn-off, but it is an intermittent problem. May work fine for a week than go bonkers and not be able to turn off except, as a last resort, by removing the battery. This is one of the most frustrating things to happen in the field - what do you do with a pointer that won't turn-off in the middle of a hunt? I even sent Fisher a video of the unit failing to turning off. Just heard back from Fisher and they're trying to say the problem is how I'm pressing the button - they're fu**** nuts and just looking for an excuse other than that the F-Pulse pointer is a real LEMON. DO NOT BUY THIS POINTER!!! You will be sorry. Really sorry to hear that you bought one. Please let us know when yours decides not to turn off...I'm betting 2-3 months.

OP
OP
garikfox

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually sent mine back because of this odd voltage behavior, I should've done more testing with the lithium and sensitivity levels.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just sent my second F-Pulse in for repair/replacement and they can keep it as far as I care. [Nothing to do w batteries.] The first died after a month, would not turn-off. The second started doing the same thing, not able to turn-off, but it is an intermittent problem. May work fine for a week than go bonkers and not be able to turn off except, as a last resort, by removing the battery. This is one of the most frustrating things to happen in the field - what do you do with a pointer that won't turn-off in the middle of a hunt? I even sent Fisher a video of the unit failing to turning off. Just heard back from Fisher and they're trying to say the problem is how I'm pressing the button - they're fu**** nuts and just looking for an excuse other than that the F-Pulse pointer is a real LEMON. DO NOT BUY THIS POINTER!!! You will be sorry. Really sorry to hear that you bought one. Please let us know when yours decides not to turn off...I'm betting 2-3 months.

I like Fisher but it sounds a bit like they are taking shortcuts with the product testing. I remember the F22/ 44 being released with flawed push buttons etc.

Chub

OP
OP
garikfox

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone else has a F-Pulse that can confirm using energizer lithium ultimate batteries results in extra sensitivity, would be interesting to see if this happens to all of them. I'm assuming all units display this voltage behavior.

ozProspector

Feb 26, 2023
Hi, I know this is a few years old -- but just wondering if you ever had any progress getting this issue fixed? It appears my Tech-Point (F-Pulse) has the same issue... turns on and works no problem, but as soon as I try and push/hold the button to turn off, it just immediately turns back on -- forcing me to have to unscrew the battery cap in order to break contact with battery and power it off. Really annoying! Unfortunately no longer in warranty.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I also have the F Pulse what is your recommend battery for the F pulse Carl, I have been using Duracell Alkaline batteries in my F Pulse and they seem to work great, my main complaint with the F Pulse is the volume, I can hardly hear the dang thing

Dang did not realize this thread was from 2019 LOL

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I also have the F Pulse what is your recommend battery for the F pulse Carl, I have been using Duracell Alkaline batteries in my F Pulse and they seem to work great, my main complaint with the F Pulse is the volume, I can hardly hear the dang thing

Dang did not realize this thread was from 2019 LOL
These Platinum batteries has been solid ever since I looked into a high drain battery. The factory battery was not strong.

Attachments

• 9C693871-4F3B-466A-8372-9C8C023E3A0E.jpeg
    9C693871-4F3B-466A-8372-9C8C023E3A0E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I checked some of the unloaded voltage values of the Energizer Lithium on my test bench and all were 1.7 volts. Although a bit high, this shouldn't cause much, if any trouble. Interesting problem, I will have to look into the chemistry of the two battery types when time permits. :dontknow:
Fisher recommends alkaline batteries "for best results." I have a new one (latest generation). It's working perfectly so far.

Last edited:

Tank Circuit

Sep 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just fixed my Fisher F-Pulse PI pinpointer with the exact symptom. There is an electrolytic capacitor (100µf@10VDC) that fails.
It's not unlikely that the symptoms would occur intermittently at first.

There is a moon-shaped insert on the end near the battery cap. This insert can be walked out using a sharp tool. You will see two screws under this cap and the entire bottom cover will slide off. You will see a gold spring-loaded pin sticking out that touches the aluminum housing for the battery screw. You will want to clean these to help keep battery connections when the pinpointer is jarred.
There will be two more screws visible and the entire circuit board will slide out revealing the bad capacitor.

You will want to lay a fine coat of silicone glue over the screw heads after you have repaired the circuit.

Attachments

• Aluminum battery screw housing.jpg
    Aluminum battery screw housing.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Bad cap-stays ON.jpg
    Bad cap-stays ON.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Moon-shaped cap.jpg
    Moon-shaped cap.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Spring-loaded GND contact.jpg
    Spring-loaded GND contact.jpg