Fisher Gemini 3 - your experience please

Petr

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2009

Hi friends,
have a possibility to buy for halve price new Gemini 3 two box detector.
Need to find large war time metal military boxes or wooden ones with metal corners ,handles etc.there .All these boxes are supposed to be in 5 to 7 feet deep.Need to check a larger area.
Is this machine good for this purpose? Heard this detector is not so easy to tune to gain a deep sensitivity...
Thank you very much for writing of your own experience with this detector.
Best
Petr :icon_thumright:

zardoz

Sep 14, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Discovery TF1200, Fisher Gemini III and Goldbug I
Re: Fisher Gemini 3 - your experience please

I am very happy with my Gemini III after using it on multiple projects. It appears to be very well suited to the task you are fortunate enough to be involved with. My only complaint was the loud volume that appeared to be a mistake from the factory. Even after I adjusted the volume pot it was still way too loud but the volume control on my headphones made it reasonable. However, my next detector will probably be a Discovery TF900 since caves and voids are of current interest in my area but I'll pack both of them on the next project. Another popular detector is the Garrett GTI2500 with the 2-box attachment; I haven't used it but it seems like a hot item! Good luck on your project, it seems very interesting! :read2:

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,

To buy a new detector for half price could mean someone is dissatisfied with it.
I have used the Fisher Gemini 3 and I don't know how much you expect, but here are my findings.
I used it in an air test on a car wheel, 15 inch diameter and 8 inches wide. It was laying flat on
the ground and the maximum air test distance I could get was about shoulder height, around 5
feet. Any higher than that and I couldn't get any signal. That means about 4 and 1/2 feet on a
car wheel. Then if you hold it one foot off the ground that should give you about 3 and 1/2 feet
of ground penetration, you could do almost that good with a large loop on some regular detectors.
Also every time you raise or lower it, it changes volume, so less depth. The good thing is that two
box detectors don't pick up small objects like coins, so there is some size discrimination, you won't
waste time on coins of pulltabs. Try it out before you buy, you may change your mind.
Good luck
Rich

fortnoy

Aug 6, 2010

After finding the GPAA Outdoor Channel, and hoping to go out west to look for gold, I purchased a Gemini 3 in Tulsa Oklahoma. This was about the year 2000. I did not make it out west until July of 2006 where I started in Oregon before winding on down the Klamath River in California. Imagine my dismay in Oregon when I turned the Gemini 3 only to see the needle go backwards. Reverse polarity? I got no use out of the Gemini 3 on that trip.

Back in Oklahoma I called Fisher and was told the Gemini 3 was out of warranty (5 years?), so I opened the box to see what the problem was. Fisher put some kind of black foam as cushion for the 8 AA battery packs and this black foam had melted and coated everything inside the box including the circuit board. I called Fisher again and someone off handedly said , yeah, we spray those circuit boards with alcohol to clean that stuff off. So I filled a spray bottle with alcohol and sprayed the board. Voilla!!!! It worked.

The Gemini 3 has set in my closet until this year, 2010, when I can now go back to Oregon. This time I checked the box before leaving. New batteries. Pull the switch. The needle goes backward. What the H---!

Tear into the box. Spray the alcohol. Dry. Batteries. The Needle goes backwards.

Try it again. Spray the alcohol. Dry. Batteries. The needle goes backwards.
Try it again. Spray the alcohol. Dry. Batteries. The needle goes backwards.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,

Fortnoy,
I haven't used one in a while, but either the tuning knob or the knob for setting
the angle on the receiver (front box) is not adjusted right if I remember correctly.
normally if you are using it and the meter goes backwards you just found a cave
which can be handy if you are looking for one.
I am not real sure about this advice, but play with the tuning a bit, twirl the
tuner all the way around, you may go past full blast and back to quiet.
Good luck
Rich

searching

Jun 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
tm808, gemini 3, gold bug

i hope you have not buy g3 yet.
i have bought g3 and tm808.
g3 is unstabel in the kind of soil in R.P.

tm is very good.

i have been using both for the past 3 mons.
tm808 is the most reliable.

hope this helps...

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi friends,
have a possibility to buy for halve price new Gemini 3 two box detector.
Need to find large war time metal military boxes or wooden ones with metal corners ,handles etc.there .All these boxes are supposed to be in 5 to 7 feet deep.Need to check a larger area.
Is this machine good for this purpose? Heard this detector is not so easy to tune to gain a deep sensitivity...
Thank you very much for writing of your own experience with this detector.
Best
Petr :icon_thumright:
hi, after 11 yrs of your post i am answering, not sure if u still around but i am a gemini 3 expert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions