Fisher LF-990D Discriminatar VLF What is it GOOD FOR

S

SASQUASH

I have a FISHER LF-990D Discriminatar VLF. I have one but I need to put a new 9volt plug in it. So I have never used it. What is it best for. I think it is kinda like the Gold bug I hope so. I need a Gold finding M.D. I got it after my step Dad died it was his. We only used it twice. So I don't know how good it works. My mom bought it for him in the 80's when I was a teenager. I think it cost about two or three hundred dollars at the time. I have two paddles big & small.

Upvote 0

Colorado Bob

May 6, 2005
Sasquash, Dont know much about your 990-D, but I do know a little about the Bug. I had a Bug and after a lot of use I sold it and upgraded to the Bug II, I think its a great machine, its light, simple to use, and has found me a fair amount of nuggets. Only one that I like better is the minelab but its fairly heavy and not so simple to operate. But then its like anything else, you have to take your time and learn how to use it. I guess the downside for a lot of folks is the $3000.00 price tag. I use the small coil and when I find a nugget patch I work it with the small coil then I change to the 10" coil and work it again. And if you really want to get deep change to the ML. I have found gold smaller in size than the head of a pin but it has to be almost on the surface.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
The 990 was a low end Fisher machine. Dates to the mid 80's as you stated. Was more for a beginner or kids model. There were three 900 series. The 930, 960 and 990. It was good in its day but would not compare favorably to todays low end detectors.

Mark S.

Shooterman

Oct 21, 2009
West Milford NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher 555-D, 1265X, 1270, Tesoro (ORG) Silver Sabre
LF990D manual

I know your post is 8 years old, but by any chance do you have a manual for that LF990D detector? [email protected]

I have a FISHER LF-990D Discriminatar VLF. I have one but I need to put a new 9volt plug in it. So I have never used it. What is it best for. I think it is kinda like the Gold bug I hope so. I need a Gold finding M.D. I got it after my step Dad died it was his. We only used it twice. So I don't know how good it works. My mom bought it for him in the 80's when I was a teenager. I think it cost about two or three hundred dollars at the time. I have two paddles big & small.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread