pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I've mounted a glass shelf perpendicular to the viewer screen, so I can move a bottle out to 30" from the screen. Typically, though, I position a bottle 15" out.

You could do the same thing from a sunny window sill. You'd just have to elevate the window-end of the glass shelf above the window frame and abutting the window glass -- not an arrangement to leave in place when not in use. You wouldn't want to punch out your window with the glass shelf.

I use translucent, flexible "Chopping Mats" from a dollar store to mask lines of shelf junctions and edges. The Mats are 12" x 15" so their edges are cropped from the image. If you have trees or horizon beyond your sunny window, you could try taping a Chopping Mat to the window glass to obscure the scenery in the image.

Here are some basic suggestions I haven't posted for a good while:

Do you have editing software that came with your camera or with your scanner? Use the image-editing software (or download shareware from the Internet).

You can be as creative as you want to be with the editing software, but the following basic things will improve anyone's images:

GROUP IMAGES of more than one or two bottles are not effective. The more individual bottles in an image, the greater the amount of table-top is in the image. Viewers cannot see the details of a bottle that might take up less than five percent of the total image. Photograph a single bottle (or two or three, if they're tiny), and post that image.

DON'T OBSCURE details of the bottle by pinching it between your fingers. If you want to use fingers to provide scale, support the bottle from below ... that is, on top of your fingers. To improve the focus, rest your hand with the bottle on a stable surface like a table or desk. But, it?s usually best to avoid cluttering the background of the image with anything extraneous.

SCALE is important. Provide measurements of your bottle in millimeters and inches for the widest audience. Don't use a coin for scale; there are many foreign subscribers who don't know your coin's size.

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible to reduce shadows...two light sources are a minimum. Ambient light is usually more effective than flash which produces flares. Eliminate yellowed images caused by tungsten filament bulbs by switching to the new compact flourescent bulbs. CFLs come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture and produce very little heat. Some LEDs produce a near-daylight effect.

ELIMINATE SHADOWS by elevating the bottle on a glass or colorless plastic stage a couple of inches above the background. Illuminate the bottle AND THE BACKGROUND in this configuration. There are numerous things around the house to use for this purpose, from scrap window-glass to disposable plastic food/drink containers. Colorless glass is best placed 3 or 4 feet from a diffuse light source like a lampshade or bright window.

BRIGHTEN AND CONTRAST. BRIGHTEN the image in the imaging software until the bottle appears slightly washed, then adjust the CONTRAST until the bottle is bright and sharp and is a good color-match. Practice this until you get a feel for it.

Great explanation on how to photograph glass. Thank you

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
attachment.php

Here's a sunburst flask, GVIII-29.

Attachments

• sunburstflaskGVIII-29.jpg
    sunburstflaskGVIII-29.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 228
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Impressive collection
Out of the 25-30 in the collection how many different variations have you got, and how many variations were made?

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Impressive collection
Out of the 25-30 in the collection how many different variations have you got, and how many variations were made?
All of them are different in one form or another, I would say there are probably 35-40 in total. There is one more 1/2 pint I know of that I'm trying to acquire...

Schwarz amber half pint backwards J.jpg
here is one more 1/2 pint I know of that I'm trying to acquire...

Last edited:
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All of them are different in one form or another, I would say there are probably 35-40 in total. T View attachment 1986150 here is one more 1/2 pint I know of that I'm trying to acquire...
That's a really sweet amber, best of luck getting it into the collection.
That's quite the variety from one maker.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a really sweet amber, best of luck getting it into the collection.
That's quite the variety from one maker.
I have other bottles from him too, maybe 10-12 round whiskey bottles in quart size and several beer bottles. I also have about 25 stoneware flasks from him...

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It's interesting to note that with all the flask variants, SCHWARZ didn't have a proprietary mold for his liquor. All of those illustrated here were blown in plate molds. Plate molds were the later 19th Century development that made embossed bottles much less expensive and more accessible. That made sense (and cents) to Schwarz, apparently. In this case, it may bespeak a blue-collar marketing strategy which ignored the more prestigious proprietary bottle mold in favor of lower costs.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a cool bit of history Harry, thanks for sharing it. 👍

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
whiskey chestnut grove A.JPG
whiskey chestnut grove B.JPG

Charles Wharton’s business address was 116 Walnut Street, a five-story building where a sign announced "Chestnut Grove Whiskey", and "Chas. Wharton Jr., Sole Agent." Not only was Charles the agent for this brand, he almost certainly was blending and compounding it from supplies of raw whiskeys obtained from the many Pennsylvania distillers of his era. Unlike other rectifiers who fancied many brands, Wharton appears to have preferred to be the master of just one - Chestnut Grove.

From the outset the proprietor had determined that a key to success was to package his whiskey in attractive glass bottles, often embossed with his name and the date of his founding (not the age of the whiskey). There is an unusual ewer-like container that appeals to collectors for its unusual shape and distinctive pouring lip. Wharton also featured a round bottle, shown here, that carries a 'slug plate' that reads "Chestnut Grove Whiskey" and carried his initials.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The Paterson NJ flask I desire the most, it was in the collection of a fellow collector who passed away, at this time I have no idea what happened to entire collection, but my buddy is going to be asking his kids where the bottles went to...

North Paterson became Hawthorne N.J., but it's still very local and desirable to someone like myself. Frederick committed suicide in July of 1911, about 7 months after his wife Hettie passed away, very little is known about Mr. Kinnaird...
Kinnaird strapside flask.JPG

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1996922 View attachment 1996923
Charles Wharton’s business address was 116 Walnut Street, a five-story building where a sign announced "Chestnut Grove Whiskey", and "Chas. Wharton Jr., Sole Agent." Not only was Charles the agent for this brand, he almost certainly was blending and compounding it from supplies of raw whiskeys obtained from the many Pennsylvania distillers of his era. Unlike other rectifiers who fancied many brands, Wharton appears to have preferred to be the master of just one - Chestnut Grove.

From the outset the proprietor had determined that a key to success was to package his whiskey in attractive glass bottles, often embossed with his name and the date of his founding (not the age of the whiskey). There is an unusual ewer-like container that appeals to collectors for its unusual shape and distinctive pouring lip. Wharton also featured a round bottle, shown here, that carries a 'slug plate' that reads "Chestnut Grove Whiskey" and carried his initials.
That is such a beauty, a dream piece to recover from the soils.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally went through all these since the post revived. Such cool stuff I'm jealous. Stuff like that is hard to find around here jn California. I don't know if I have any what you'd call flasks but years back I on Google earth in the mountains saw a weird square shaped thing and hiked out to it and it was a thing full of old bottles from 1920s - 1950s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread