🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Flat Button Backmark Help, Please.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could use some help with this plain front flat button. It is larger than a quarter and has an ornate backmark. It reads "Best Quality"across the top, "Standard Colour" inside the circle. There is a "K" in an oval at the bottom inner circle and what looks like flowers at the top of the inner circle. I figure it is probably 1820s but was wondering about the significance of the K and flowers.
The button is in very good condition as seen by the reflection of my camera holding fingers in the front picture.

Attachments

• Large obverse.jpg
    Large obverse.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Large reverse 1.jpg
    Large reverse 1.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Large reverse 2.jpg
    Large reverse 2.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Large reverse 3.jpg
    Large reverse 3.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Large reverse 4.jpg
    Large reverse 4.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 47

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure is in great condition still.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out that the "flowers" are not flowers, they are plumes. Also found out that the plumes mean this button was made for the Welsh market. Still don't know what the "k" stands for but I am guessing it is the makers mark.

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out that the "flowers" are not flowers, they are plumes. Also found out that the plumes mean this button was made for the Welsh market. Still don't know what the "k" stands for but I am guessing it is the makers mark.

I would assume the 'K' is a maker mark too, although I don't immediately recognise it. Still thinking about that.

Those are indeed 'plumes' and colloquially known as the "Prince of Wales plumes" but they're not an indication that a button made for the Welsh market, nor that a button was made in Wales.

They most usually indicate that the button-maker (wherever he might have been based) had the patronage of the Prince of Wales, which is an honorary title traditionally bestowed on the next-in-line to the British throne. Such patronage could arise by something you produced being used by the Royal household, not necessarily by the Prince himself, and not necessarily buttons (if you were a metal goods producer who made other things too),

Currently, Prince Charles is Prince of Wales since he will become King when Elizabeth dies. If current protocol is followed, the title would then pass to his eldest son, Prince William.

See my post at this link:

Upvote 3

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could use some help with this plain front flat button. It is larger than a quarter and has an ornate backmark. It reads "Best Quality"across the top, "Standard Colour" inside the circle. There is a "K" in an oval at the bottom inner circle and what looks like flowers at the top of the inner circle. I figure it is probably 1820s but was wondering about the significance of the K and flowers.
The button is in very good condition as seen by the reflection of my camera holding fingers in the front picture.
I wish i could help . Nice finds NICE display of pictures !! You did a good job of showing !!!

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the Prince of Wales plumes and the spelling of "colour" with a "u", I would assume this to be a British button.

In America, both spellings were used interchangeably through to the early 1800s but Webster's 1806 dictionary established "color" as the preferred spelling for Americans.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread