Flat Button “Best Quality”

kdeckard1982

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2023
So happy to find this website today. This is my first post here so if I need to add other pics, please let me know.

I found this outside my house today. I’d love to find out approximate age for this button. Our house was built in 1900 and we have been finding some cool things over the last 6 months that we have moved here. (Including a large cent from 1855. I attached those pictures for fun.)

Thanks for any help you have!

Attachments

• 78E9CE2E-A8BB-450A-BB2D-45A6FB1EF6AF.jpeg
    78E9CE2E-A8BB-450A-BB2D-45A6FB1EF6AF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
  • 0CB1FF7C-F10F-49A5-8086-C213130D091B.jpeg
    0CB1FF7C-F10F-49A5-8086-C213130D091B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
  • E01D331E-1EFF-4101-B2C2-83CE32EF034E.jpeg
    E01D331E-1EFF-4101-B2C2-83CE32EF034E.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 47CF2EDE-6352-4E2D-BAAF-BAEC23D48B68.jpeg
    47CF2EDE-6352-4E2D-BAAF-BAEC23D48B68.jpeg
    772.2 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 14

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

Well the button was made before your large Cent of 1855, so either something happen on your property before it was built, or they used Grandma's button box.
Need more clues....

OP
OP
K

kdeckard1982

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2023
Welcome to Tnet.

Well the button was made before your large Cent of 1855, so either something happen on your property before it was built, or they used Grandma's button box.
Need more clues....
Thanks, glad to have found the forum! Any ideas on what clues would help? The only other thing that I can think of is that we live in NW Indiana, and the people that owned our home since the 40’s were German Baptist, not that there would be much of a clue in that.

With the buttons, do you know if there were certain companies that made the “Best Quality” buttons, or were there several companies that made that grade of buttons?

Please know that I don’t really know anything about these, so if I am asking dumb questions or giving useless info, please let me know😂

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ther ain't no such thing as a dumb question! Welcome to the forum from Oregon! Where are you from?

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
"Best quality" is one of the designations of British-made buttons from the colonial period, 1700s to maybe the 1st quarter of the 1800s. They had a lot of different designations such as gilt, best gilt, orange (meaning gold) and others. Mostly advertising promotion but had some descriptive value about the button, such as how many times it was dipped in the gilding and what metal was used.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So happy to find this website today. This is my first post here so if I need to add other pics, please let me know.

I found this outside my house today. I’d love to find out approximate age for this button. Our house was built in 1900 and we have been finding some cool things over the last 6 months that we have moved here. (Including a large cent from 1855. I attached those pictures for fun.)

Nice finds. Welcome aboard

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds. Welcome abo
Thanks, glad to have found the forum! Any ideas on what clues would help? The only other thing that I can think of is that we live in NW Indiana, and the people that owned our home since the 40’s were German Baptist, not that there would be much of a clue in that.

With the buttons, do you know if there were certain companies that made the “Best Quality” buttons, or were there several companies that made that grade of buttons?

Please know that I don’t really know anything about these, so if I am asking dumb questions or giving useless info, please let me know😂

I've been detecting probably 30 yrs. I have questions almost every time I go digging. The members of this forum will almost always figure out what you've dug up.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Keep going my friend!!

OP
OP
K

kdeckard1982

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2023
"Best quality" is one of the designations of British-made buttons from the colonial period, 1700s to maybe the 1st quarter of the 1800s. They had a lot of different designations such as gilt, best gilt, orange (meaning gold) and others. Mostly advertising promotion but had some descriptive value about the button, such as how many times it was dipped in the gilding and what metal was used.
Thanks so much for this info Almy! I can’t believe that I’m finding stuff this old at my own house. I can’t wait to really go digging around my property. I found both of these on the surface. 👍🏻

Thanks again for all your help!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!! Welcome to Tnet!!!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're finding items on the surface, just imagine whats under the soil waiting to be discovered. Keep us posted.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clues in this reference means any other finds you dig, although on ploughed land it could be eyes only finds as well as metal finds.
Proper ID'ing of the finds (clues) build up a picture, then you can make educated speculation about what might have been going on & at least narrow a date range.

Hundreds of British companies used the Quality mark of ''Best Quality'', & because it's not a Makers Mark, it only has limited info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread