Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Info for those who hunt along Florida’s A1A.

My hunting buddy and I drove to Melbourne Beach this morning only to find the aftermath of the latest massive renourishment program. Not a target to by found! We drove south all the way to Ambersands beach entrance stopping along the way to check out other beaches along that road and what we saw was truck after truck along A1A waiting their turn to dump more sand on our beaches.

Needless to say all we got this day was a lot of exercise. In the end, we decided to hold off detecting there until either the weather warms up and depositors return en masse or storms reverse the effects of the renourishment effort.

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next big storm,or two will remove it all and the cycle begins a new :)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brings up this question....All this sand goes through some kind of sifter ,right ? Where is that sifter at the end of the dredge tube(on land) ? Or on the dredge at sea ?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brings up this question....All this sand goes through some kind of sifter ,right ? Where is that sifter at the end of the dredge tube(on land) ? Or on the dredge at sea ?

Does anyone know ?
>>>

Last edited:

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sand is brought in from sand pits inland... not beach sand... it is full of can slaw and 99.9% of the time, nothing of a historical nature is in it... just under it... WAY under it!!

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Ambersand, Treasure Shores and Golden Sands to Wabasso are getting sand through April. November Wabasso and south. The beach communities discovered if they all put sand on the beach, if it erodes it goes south and adds to beaches to the South.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ambersand, Treasure Shores and Golden Sands to Wabasso are getting sand through April. November Wabasso and south. The beach communities discovered if they all put sand on the beach, if it erodes it goes south and adds to beaches to the South.

Hmmm... well this would defy the "law of nature" for area.... so again "they" are wrong.

Flow is north... and deposited on cape.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prob both ways at diff times, but looking at the seb and ft pierce inlets, over time the south side is eroded more while the north sides build up. Plus depends on the wind direction, if you stand on the beach with a moderate to strong northerly wind you can watch sand move south. Offshore, the Florida current and Gulf Stream flow north but move away from shore around Palm Beach.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prob both ways at diff times, but looking at the seb and ft pierce inlets, over time the south side is eroded more while the north sides build up. Plus depends on the wind direction, if you stand on the beach with a moderate to strong northerly wind you can watch sand move south. Offshore, the Florida current and Gulf Stream flow north but move away from shore around Palm Beach.

No my son... One way... Always.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called the "Gulf Stream"... this is what the Spanish "rode" north... the same Spanish that your deviders came from :)

secoora-stylized-map-large-911x1024.png

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
We both agree ‘they’ are wrong again about sand renourisment at least.

I am referring to current at the beach, in my area the northward flowing Gulf stream is 12-14 miles offshore as shown in your diagram North of Palm Beach.

North to south current is under “Longshore transport” here: https://fcit.usf.edu/florida/teacher/science/mod2/changing.coastlines.html

But a more interesting article is here: under the yellow diagram, https://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2015/07/7315-report-how-noreasters-produce.html

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test for yourself... get a BIG cheap beachball... and let it loose in the surf :)

It will go south AND OUT... then North. :)

What is sucked outward is then carried northward.

Which is why they have never found the remaining ships... they are WAY north... ALONG WITH all that sand we are talking about. :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On our coast, there are outcroppings, underwater canyons, and man-made breakwaters and jettys that can effect the overall southward current causing eddy currents that go the opposite way of the main current. You add storms to that mix and sand can go in any direction. Overall, it goes south here, but, in the short term it can go anywhere. We just like it when it goes, regardless of direction! :laughing7:

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Test for yourself... get a BIG cheap beachball... and let it loose in the surf :)

It will go south AND OUT... then North. :)

What is sucked outward is then carried northward.

Which is why they have never found the remaining ships... they are WAY north... ALONG WITH all that sand we are talking about. :)

Makes sense, thanks

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes hearing the good news on possible treasure from the Spanish galleons coming my way with the Gulf Stream..also by me in the Hudson River during the Rev.war a iron chain was placed in the water across it to also stop the British ships from advancing as they burned part of Kingston down when it was NYs Capitol..Here Now we can also search for possible wrecks up here too

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes hearing the good news on possible treasure from the Spanish galleons coming my way with the Gulf Stream..also by me in the Hudson River during the Rev.war a iron chain was placed in the water across it to also stop the British ships from advancing as they burned part of Kingston down when it was NYs Capitol..Here Now we can also search for possible wrecks up here too

Possible,but that island (the chain was connected to) on the East side of the Hudson is LOADED w/snakes & is now Fed. property .

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I think it’s bannermans Isl..I’m not sure of the spelling Also there was ammunition’s stored there also
on the other hand many years ago for a summer job I worked clearing woods to become a park near there and found a nice gold ring and finding out now that Thomas Jefferson lived there

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the Hudson River has tidal waters so it’s possible that treasures can be located miles away

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions