Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Info for those who hunt along Florida’s A1A.

My hunting buddy and I drove to Melbourne Beach this morning only to find the aftermath of the latest massive renourishment program. Not a target to by found! We drove south all the way to Ambersands beach entrance stopping along the way to check out other beaches along that road and what we saw was truck after truck along A1A waiting their turn to dump more sand on our beaches.

Needless to say all we got this day was a lot of exercise. In the end, we decided to hold off detecting there until either the weather warms up and depositors return en masse or storms reverse the effects of the renourishment effort.

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I think it’s bannermans Isl..I’m not sure of the spelling Also there was ammunition’s stored there also
on the other hand many years ago for a summer job I worked clearing woods to become a park near there and found a nice gold ring and finding out now that Thomas Jefferson lived there

If there are ships on the bottom they will be there for ever.Visibility down there on a good day is Zero Lots of underwater obstructions around that island.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billb
If I were you,I would try detecting the TOP of Mt. Beacon .During the Rev. war it was used as a military look out point for observing the Hudson.Use to be an old dirt road that will take you to the top....Good luck :)

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I go fishing down that way during the striper run. There are times when the water visibility is pretty good though there is run offs from streams during storms that foul things..I will drive to the Mt.and perhaps the pot of gold might be close by...Thanks my friend

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While striper fishing north of Kingston one morning in the fog there was a large freighter that went slightly off course and got stuck during low tide and it had to continually put the anchors down to try to pull it free when high tide started to come back

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone know ?
>>>

I was wintering on the Gulf one winter a decade back and the high hopes of detecting the beach that was right on the doorstep, and sadly found out that wasn't going to happen. The work on the beach had already started, dredge off shore, the long nozzle pipe snaking its way to shore and two bulldozers working the sand. Watched and met the main guy running the crew and I asked the same question.
All the sand is screened for larger objects, but not for smaller size.
Question: Ever recover anything? Owner had an amazing relic collection of cannon balls, and artifacts.
They did really well off of some small island near the Savanna River mouth. I guess the finds were endless with the dredging program that went on there.

Something like top screening plants that do all the topsoils in a new construction development-always wondered about those also.
I do know that a screening plant for top soil that a local company has found horseshoes, farm implements, axe heads, but the screen is too large of mess to catch coinage or any other smalls.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wintering on the Gulf one winter a decade back and the high hopes of detecting the beach that was right on the doorstep, and sadly found out that wasn't going to happen. The work on the beach had already started, dredge off shore, the long nozzle pipe snaking its way to shore and two bulldozers working the sand. Watched and met the main guy running the crew and I asked the same question.
All the sand is screened for larger objects, but not for smaller size.
Question: Ever recover anything? Owner had an amazing relic collection of cannon balls, and artifacts.
They did really well off of some small island near the Savanna River mouth. I guess the finds were endless with the dredging program that went on there.

Something like top screening plants that do all the topsoils in a new construction development-always wondered about those also.
I do know that a screening plant for top soil that a local company has found horseshoes, farm implements, axe heads, but the screen is too large of mess to catch coinage or any other smalls.

Dunno ,but I do know,Last year this month while we were down there (just S. of Melbourne beach) they were dredging sand off the ocean floor and pumping it on shore.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach renourishment should be left to Mother Nature, works well on s. Hutchinson Island south of the jetty at brooks and Douglas. Mother Nature brings it in, she takes it away

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s amazing how the currents have the ability to move things ..A surfer in Hawaii fell off his board and never found it But as time passed it turned up in the Philippines over 5000 miles away

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a difference between the gulf stream..... and long shore drift. Long shore drift changes with the seasons. The Gulf has had a lot of reneourishment the past few years. Man it kills the hunting. Then we had the Red Tide..... followed by this virus.... ugh. They reneourished here in May.... nothing out there but the sand. They opted not to sift it fine so more people could collect shells. Well we got shells alright.... 50 cal lol. Last year was a pretty good winter for gold..... this year is kind of dead. We dont get nearly the movement the other side of the island gets. Hate to say we needed the sand.... but we did. Some of the local condos no longer had a beach. St Pete area i believe was renourished about 5 years ago and just now is moving some older stuff.... if you can get out that far.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a difference between the gulf stream..... and long shore drift. Long shore drift changes with the seasons. The Gulf has had a lot of reneourishment the past few years. Man it kills the hunting. Then we had the Red Tide..... followed by this virus.... ugh. They reneourished here in May.... nothing out there but the sand. They opted not to sift it fine so more people could collect shells. Well we got shells alright.... 50 cal lol. Last year was a pretty good winter for gold..... this year is kind of dead. We dont get nearly the movement the other side of the island gets. Hate to say we needed the sand.... but we did. Some of the local condos no longer had a beach. St Pete area i believe was renourished about 5 years ago and just now is moving some older stuff.... if you can get out that far.

Correct about the drift... generally it will travel south on the east coast after further reviewing some of current shifting... sort of a neat phenomenon and difference of the surface water there and the bottom... the sand movement is southern it seems via longshore drifts... but never really settles too often and stays on the move.

BUT ! :)

THE most contributing factors to beach erosion is storms.... which changes everything... especially which way its moving.

So perhaps in general we could say SOME sand does move slowly south on typical day... but storms change this... which is the major MAIN reason beaches erode... and in this process... north it shall be... especially close to shore.

And again anything offshore is always moving north in the GS.

The sea she be the mysterious mistress.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonelDan. Rentals for the summer are filling up quickly so hopefully it will be a good season again

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brings up this question....All this sand goes through some kind of sifter ,right ? Where is that sifter at the end of the dredge tube(on land) ? Or on the dredge at sea ?

When they renourished south side of ft Pierce Inlet a couple of springs ago, they had the big hose running from the ship on to the beach and stuffed in a big screened box, think it screened out any thing larger than a quarter

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the great information again on the GS.currents and sand,etc.Yes hoping for a good year and
How I wish I could be down in beautiful Florida today with my toes in the sand instead of in the snow we got over night

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC. Hi is there any signs of global warming causing the tides and water levels along the shores to rise also in Florida,I’ve have been told that along the shorelines of hotels what used to sandy beaches years ago is now slowly being covered with water

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread