Florida Indian Middens With Spanish Gold & Silver

W

WookieLuv0nMarz

Florida Indian Middens With Spanish Gold & Silver

I have done alot of land surveying for the state and my family before me since the first settlers landed here. and know of many indian middens along the east coast of florida and some in the swamps and wetlands that may house a horde of artifacts. I am looking for 1 or 2 people to go searching with me.

write me if interested.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Florida Indian Middens With Spanish Gold & Silver

Hmm... I feel pretty uneducated by not knowing what "middens" are, since I used to be a part of an archaeological group that mainly dealt with indian mounds and artifacts here in the Pinellas Park/Saint Petersburg area... ??? Could you fill me in on this, please?

Bran <><

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi: Just curious. If you don't know what a midden is, exactly how much work did you do with mounds? "Midden" is a very common term in archaeology in general and mounds especially. Loosely defined, it is the "trash dump". Have a good day ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:).Sorry I gotta agree with deepsix47 on this one.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

WookieLuv0nMarz said:
I have done alot of land surveying for the state and my family before me since the first settlers landed here. and know of many indian middens along the east coast of florida and some in the swamps and wetlands that may house a horde of artifacts. I am looking for 1 or 2 people to go searching with me.

write me if interested.
Wow. :o You (a newbie) want to know if anyone on TN wants to do something very illegal with you? Is this correct? :D :D Most of us know that Florida middens/mounds are mostly trash dumps and contain very little treasure. South Florida Indians didn't even have flint. Good luck. Be careful. Welcome to the forum.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

deepsix47 said:
Hi: Just curious. If you don't know what a midden is, exactly how much work did you do with mounds? "Midden" is a very common term in archaeology in general and mounds especially. Loosely defined, it is the "trash dump". Have a good day ;D
Hello deepsix. I notice you just registered tonite. Welcome to the forum. :D :D :D

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deepsix47 said:

Well, that would be precisely 4-1/2 years (1994-1998) spent with the Central Gulf Coast Archaeological Society back in high school. Six months of that time was spent on cataloging and filing all of the finds from the Narvaez/Anderson Dig at the Science Center here in Saint Petersburg, Florida.
I do recall them referring to it as an Indian mound/excavation... but I don't recall them calling it a "midden". I do, on the other hand, appreciate you "explaining" to me in those "simple terms" the meaning of the word. There is still plenty of information on their website from way back then if you care to look at any of it. (http://www.cgcas.org/2cgcas.htm) Again, thanks for your input. :)

Bran <><

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
deepsix47 said:
Hello deepsix. I notice you just registered tonite. Welcome to the forum. :D :D :D

Thanx BigCypress. A friend of mine told me about this place. I look forward to regular visits.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

godisnum1 said:
deepsix47 said:

Well, that would be precisely 4-1/2 years (1994-1998) spent with the Central Gulf Coast Archaeological Society back in high school. Six months of that time was spent on cataloging and filing all of the finds from the Narvaez/Anderson Dig at the Science Center here in Saint Petersburg, Florida.
I do recall them referring to it as an Indian mound/excavation... but I don't recall them calling it a "midden". I do, on the other hand, appreciate you "explaining" to me in those "simple terms" the meaning of the word. There is still plenty of information on their website from way back then if you care to look at any of it. (http://www.cgcas.org/2cgcas.htm) Again, thanks for your input. :)

Bran <><

Hi Bran: I do apologize if I touched a nerve. Actually I am familiar a bit with that dig. I believe it was dated between 1000 & 16/1700AD (not positive about the dating) but I'm pretty sure it was classed as an "Indian Shell Mound & Midden". There are many different types of Mounds and they are common to a large number of cultures throughout the Americas. At any rate, I wish you the best of luck with your TH'ing and have a super day!!!!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No problem DeepSix... I am probably a bit quick to be offended when I ask a question on here and get any kind of response outside of a straight-forward one, so any apologies are certainly accepted. I offer mine as well because I know I can be a little too edgy sometimes.
As for the dating, that's probably as correct as anyone will produce in my oppinion. I'm not too trusting of carbon dating because I lean heavily toward the Creationist side of the belief spectrum. *shrugs* As for the classification of the site itself, you are also right on the mark there. I'm glad you are also familiar with this excavation site. :) Thanks again though! I'm off for the night to face another wonderful day at work tomorrow. Goodnight!

Bran <><

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CAUTION; The subject is Florida Indian Middens, NOT Science -V- Religion. You want to talk religion and the bible, we have a forum for that, so take it there.

Those post's have been removed.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread