AEmedic

Greenie
Jan 14, 2022
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered a CTX 3030 w/17" coil. I am brand new to the hobby, aside from a $70 cheapo machine a number of years ago.
I am buying everything, so I just ordered a Predator digging tool and shovel and I'm on the hunt for a good deal on a Pro-Find 35.
I know I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, what is the best resource to orient me to the 3030?
I am excited to start exploring, once it warms up a little...

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Andy Sabisch book for the CTX. Read it and go detecting, then read it again. You will not be disappointed with the CTX but it will take some time to understand it. I'd stick with the stock 11" coil and preloaded programs until you get the hang of it. Lots of good youtube videos out there too. I'm new to the CTX as well but have been detecting for many years. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% agree with Saker! If you haven't created a test garden with various coins and trash items, do it. It will help you see the FE and CO numbers for each target. You will need that Predator shovel, so practice how to dig "U" shaped plugs. Let us know how it goes!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered a CTX 3030 w/17" coil. I am brand new to the hobby, aside from a $70 cheapo machine a number of years ago.
I am buying everything, so I just ordered a Predator digging tool and shovel and I'm on the hunt for a good deal on a Pro-Find 35.
I know I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, what is the best resource to orient me to the 3030?
I am excited to start exploring, once it warms up a little...
What is your main type of target you’re looking for?

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I have a main type of target... I will be detecting in historic sites and along beaches but am equal opportunity exploring.
If it’s one piece of advice I could offer it’s this…
1) Turn machine on
2) Set “Sensitivity” to “Auto+3”
3) Press the “Noise cancel” button and wait for 25-30 seconds for it to find the channel it wants.
4) Go hunt
Just use it like this for a day. Report back what happens.🙂

OP
OP
A

AEmedic

Greenie
Jan 14, 2022
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it’s one piece of advice I could offer it’s this…
1) Turn machine on
2) Set “Sensitivity” to “Auto+3”
3) Press the “Noise cancel” button and wait for 25-30 seconds for it to find the channel it wants.
4) Go hunt
Just use it like this for a day. Report back what happens.🙂
Thank you, once I get it and get it all set up, I will definitely try that!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Atlanta. I purchased a new CTX3030 about 2 months ago. You will get your best advice right here on this forum. Ask any questions. Some very experienced (not me) CTX3030 users on this sub-forum. And and they will help no matter how simple your question might be. I had the Nox 800 for 3 years. sold it and bought the CTX3030 and love it. A completely different (and better in my opinion) than the famous Nox 800.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! The CTX 3030 is an AWESOME machine!

https://bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-ctx-3030-metal-detector
ctx-bundle-new.jpg

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree. still learning, but I think it found a forever home with me.

I hunt civil war relics and silver coins in urban Atlanta that is super trashy with can slaw (micro bits of alulminum also), pop tops and pull tabs at all layers of depth, screw cap, bottle caps, lots of rusty iron bits. In this envoronment the 800 drove me crazy reporting on every little bit of metal trash.

A huge difference with the CTX3030 in my environment. Much quieter and if it says it is a coin you can be about 90% sure it is a coin. basically you look at all good sounding targets carefully and if deeper than 5 " deep then dig them.

metaldiggr

Feb 13, 2015
South Central Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the CTX in the fall of 2019 and absolutely love it!

There's no substitute for using it! As mentioned, build a test garden. Make sure to throw a nail in with a few coins. Andy's book is great but It gives you a foundation, using it builds upon that.

What a great machine! It is absolutely a please to use.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don,t use the expression FNG,it,s very derogatory even if you,re using it to describe yourself.We were all new at some time and others will be new also. New guys are what keeps the hobby going.All us old farts are going to die some day and we need some body to become the new old farts. Not busting you out,but it,s not the best descriptor to use.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FNG is a carryover expression from the Vietnam War. I wasn,t in the Vietnam War but joined the Marines very post Vietnam.The expression was still in wide use at the time for guys just out of Boot on their first duty station. Got called that a lot and was kind of taken aback by it.My 1st Sgt.saw this,clued me in and told me to never use that for new guys,If they don,t know what to do,teach them,if you do know.That way they can soon become valued members of the unit instead of bewildered newbies.I always used that advice in my dealings with newly assigned Marines.It payed off in a myriad of ways as time went by and I never forgot that advice.Thank you 1st Sgt.Lookinbill.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FNG is a carryover expression from the Vietnam War. I wasn,t in the Vietnam War but joined the Marines very post Vietnam.The expression was still in wide use at the time for guys just out of Boot on their first duty station. Got called that a lot and was kind of taken aback by it.My 1st Sgt.saw this,clued me in and told me to never use that for new guys,If they don,t know what to do,teach them,if you do know.That way they can soon become valued members of the unit instead of bewildered newbies.I always used that advice in my dealings with newly assigned Marines.It payed off in a myriad of ways as time went by and I never forgot that advice.Thank you 1st Sgt.Lookinbill.
Sergeants are the enlisted guy's best friend for new guys at their first posting. I know, may be off topic, but they can make your life in the military so much better by showing you how things are done in the military. It ain't like any other life you knew up till then or probably ever since you left the military.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sergeants are the enlisted guys best friend for new guys at their first posting. I know, may be off topic, but they can make you life in the military so much better by showing you how things are done in the military. It ain't like any other life you knew up till then or probably ever since you left the military.
I was mainly just posting my dislike for that expression,and the reason why. You are 100% right on.1st Sgt.Lookingbil was a Marines Marine,squared away to a tee,took no guff from any one and if you wanted to be like him,he,d go out of his way to show you how to do it. I,m in his debt,long may his spirit reign!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, 3 years in the Army turned my life around. I was kind of rudderless just ripe for getting in trouble at 19 years of age. So those thee years in the Army set a deep pattern in me how follow the rules, study, and really learn and apply what I learned. That is what got me through college at a pretty tough engineering school.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread