Jun 28, 2017
Southern IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 1

pulltaboo

Jul 29, 2022
North GA
Occasionally falling in water is part of the fun. However, if you're falling too often, or have a constitution of Humpty Dumpty, spiked shoes are your best bet. And I mean metal spikes, nothing vanilla. When you slip in the stream, it's usually on the layer of algae or weeds, not on the rock itself. So your only chance not to slip in these situations is to reach through and get a solid footing on the rock… hence the spikes.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would consider ice creepers or cleats that you can wear over your shoes or sneakers. They sell on Amazon for as low as $9. After a close call in the middle of a small creek years ago, I know algae on boulders can be slippery as ice. And if you watch Aquachigger's latest video on 'Jet Kayaking And Metal Detecting Slime River' - you'll get an idea of how bad algae can get.

OP
OP
M

Mamawburger

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2017
Southern IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I actually have a pair of the kind that are held in place with elastic. Now......Remembering where they are :)

OP
OP
M

Mamawburger

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2017
Southern IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had 2 of my grandkids at a creek a few weeks ago. Got into a spot that was shin deep with a little current. Turned to go back up stream and took a face plant!! Quite gracefully, I might add. The 8 year old boy said " Mamaw, I didn't think you liked swimming" It was just one of those moments...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of fly fishermen use felt soles on their waders.Never used them myself so can,t personally comment on how well they work,just a FYI.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found anything that works good on slimy rocks. Has anyone here actually bought and used something that works? I use some Mares hard soled dive booties that have a fairly coarse sole pattern, but, even those will slip on the real thickly slimed rocks. I do a lot of two stepping......take a step, test the next one before putting any weight on it, take a step, and repeat.

pulltaboo

Jul 29, 2022
North GA
Has anyone here actually bought and used something that works?
I practice what I preach, so yeah… metal spikes. Not "pavement friendly" ones for city walks, but a seriously sharp ones, made of hardened steel.
It also largely depends on your rocks – you want these spikes long enough to penetrate the layer of weeds and/or algae, and you want them to be able to make a serious dent on underlying rocks.
For example, if you're only dealing with slimy rocks, something like this will suffice. But if you've to also penetrate a thick layer of weeds, you've to go big.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water shoes sold for rafting, kayaking, and canoeing work great.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I practice what I preach, so yeah… metal spikes. Not "pavement friendly" ones for city walks, but a seriously sharp ones, made of hardened steel.
It also largely depends on your rocks – you want these spikes long enough to penetrate the layer of weeds and/or algae, and you want them to be able to make a serious dent on underlying rocks.
For example, if you're only dealing with slimy rocks, something like this will suffice. But if you've to also penetrate a thick layer of weeds, you've to go big.
I didn't realize anyone made a shoe like that for the water. Do you have a brand and/or model that you use?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread