For a fish

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Hey guys, took the misses out yesterday to a small town about an hr drive from here.
She shopped at a few places and a thrift shop. Great day. Nice town St Arnaud.
On the way home I had a fish for about 40 minutes in a small reservoir.
Used my go to Sebile Red and Black shallow diver. Got 2 nice Redfin, introduced from the UK here last century. Love eating them but it was catch n release this day, just for fun.
Below the dam, res, farmland.
IMG_20221001_155354_363~2.jpg

The small Reservoir.
IMG_20221001_155332_483~2.jpg

The Redfin.
These Sebile Red n Black are candy to them.
IMG_20221001_152402_301~3.jpg

IMG_20221001_153706_318~2.jpg

Beautiful eating fish. But let em go to fight another day 👍

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, took the misses out yesterday to a small town about an hr drive from here.
Used my go to Sebile Red and Black shallow diver. Got 2 nice Redfin, introduced from the UK here last century. Love eating them but it was catch n release this day, just for fun.
View attachment 2048939
The small Reservoir.
View attachment 2048940
The Redfin.
View attachment 2048941
View attachment 2048942
Looks like the yellow perch we have.

Yellow-Perch-1024x768.jpg

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Looks like the yellow perch we have.

Yellow-Perch-1024x768.jpg
Absolutely! Apart from the tail. Are those there introduced like ours are?
Ours were brought here from the UK in the early days. They have super tough scales, so we dont bother scaling them. We just head them, gut them and cook them. Some fillet them but I can't be bothered doing that.
Have lovely white flesh. Here the biggest gets to around 6lb.
The biggest in those pictures is about 1 1/2 lb.
Record they say here was 9 but i dont know anyone who got one ever over 6. Was a rumour yrs ago of a 10 but personally I dont believe it. My best was 5.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely! Apart from the tail. Are those there introduced like ours are?
Ours were brought here from the UK in the early days. They have super tough scales, so we dont bother scaling them. We just head them, gut them and cook them. Some fillet them but I can't be bothered doing that.
Have lovely white flesh. Here the biggest gets to around 6lb.
The biggest in those pictures is about 1 1/2 lb.
Record they say here was 9 but i dont know anyone who got one ever over 6. Was a rumour yrs ago of a 10 but personally I dont believe it. My best was 5.
They are native to North America,the biggest caught was 4.2 pounds here,excellent table fare. People ice fish for them.Do you have carp over there?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2048939
The small Reservoir.
View attachment 2048940
The Redfin.
View attachment 2048941
View attachment 2048942
I was going to say sure looks like a perch in the usa

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
They are native to North America,the biggest caught was 4.2 pounds here,excellent table fare. People ice fish for them.Do you have carp over there?
Hi. Yes we do. European Carp. They were a huge problem here in the 70s till the early 90s. Our fisheries were scratching their heads how to stop them.
Strangely, around mid 90s the numbers dropped.
This is from fishing people, not Gov. They lost their acclimatisation.
Yes there was an erradication, with catch n kill, no release. But strangely, the numbers dropped. They are still here and in a number of places still a problem, but, where I am in Victoria the numbers have rocketed down.
I rarely catch them where they were a problem. Our native fish like Yellowbellly and Murray Cod have taken back over the waterways! Even Trout from the Uk thrive over them as do the Redfin. European Perch! The Redfin were a huge problem in the 70s and 80s! Now it seems to have hit a ballance. Natives doing great, Trout great and Redfin. Carp are now the lesser species. Still here but not near the problem they were.
Went today with the misses for a fish. Got a few knocks, then my rod loaded up. Great fight for 5 minutes then netted a nice Murray Cod.
Liked the catch and are awesome eating but our no go season is from September to the end of November for them. Breeding time.
Still was happy to catch n release it. 9 to 10lb. But thats small. They grow to over 150lb and biggest I know caught 200lb. Its not uncommon to see a duck swimming along then whoopf! A Murray Cod eats it.
Some good lures here are bird duck and water rat lures for them.
They eat anything! Hotdogs are great bait, chunks of cheese and chicken fillets. Even boiled eggs. They wait under river side trees like River Redgums for eggs and chicks from nesting birds in spring to eat them.
Was here today. In a flood water area below a dam wall. They love flood waters.
IMG_20221004_144859_173~2.jpg

Got this one. Couldn't keep it as if you do this time of yr the fisheries take all your gear and fine you big time. If you are caught with one in a boat, you may lose your boat also.
IMG_20221004_124918_612~2.jpg

Caught and released. 👍
Great fight though.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area of the USA this looks like a walleye

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2048939
The small Reservoir.
View attachment 2048940
The Redfin.
View attachment 2048941
View attachment 2048942
Chilli
Great catch and good to see the rain stopped and starting to warm up in your area.
Over here some areas have had frost and this morning temps were in the low forty’s F
Take care mate

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Chilli
Great catch and good to see the rain stopped and starting to warm up in your area.
Over here some areas have had frost and this morning temps were in the low forty’s F
Take care mate
Thanks mate but no it has not stopped. Its got worse. Rain is nuts. Much flooding here and yesterday I was supposed to travel to get a blood test. Cancelled. We were trapped here any direction. Today did a drive to see it.
Big floods. Next week more to come. Today can travel but I highly doubt next week.
IMG_20221008_144243_782~2.jpg

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mate but no it has not stopped. Its got worse. Rain is nuts. Much flooding here and yesterday I was supposed to travel to get a blood test. Cancelled. We were trapped here any direction. Today did a drive to see it.
Big floods. Next week more to come. Today can travel but I highly doubt next week.
View attachment 2049645
[/QUOTEPlease stay safe and warm and hope for the best
I hope there’s no damage to your home

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics and certainly a nice place to be on an early fall day .....

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fish :) Inland lake ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread